Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

ICE with most horrible source ever

IanH
Honored Contributor II

In order to reduce the wear and tear on my fingers I have decided that I need to type less.  Consequently for me it's no more comments in source (I never read them anyway), no more mixed case keywords and names (saves pressing SHIFT), back to fixed source form (no need for all that extraneous white space - annoyances about IDE smart indenting behaviour become a thing of the past) and use of the statement termination character and continuations in preference to starting new lines (this will also save paper when I print my source out).

Unfortunately ifort won't play ball.

>ifort /check:all /warn:all /standard-semantics FIXEDFORMFOREVER.FOR
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0.0.108 Build 20140726
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

fortcom: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).
compilation aborted for FIXEDFORMFOREVER.FOR (code 1)

What's that?  Do I have a bit too much spare time on my hands at the moment? Why yes I do as a matter of fact... how did you guess??

0 Kudos
22 Replies
IanH
Honored Contributor II

John Nichols wrote:

I read this -- darn you guys are a slightly more wacky than I realized

No one has that much time

And there's worse to come!

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I remember many years ago taking a class in Numerical Methods, back in the days when NM was taught in Fortran.

When University was real and relatively inexpensive.

Everyone's code files shared  a common work space - so I fixed a friend's program so it

Cleared the screen

TYPED in flashing characters ::

The Phantom Program Snatcher Strikes again.

Those were the days - when you teacher had been in WW2 and had a sense of reality.

0 Kudos