Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

IFC ICE on spurious USE in submodule

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I installed the latest OpeAPI today , I was a version behind latest. I decided out of interest to try IFX in a 'large' project something I have deliberately  avoided. Anyway it successfully compiled bunch of files with several hundred thousand lines of code except for a couple of ICEs which were both the same root cause , an invalid 'self USE' within a submodule. A short reproducer is shown below.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Barbara_P_Intel

Thank you for the reproducer! Short and sweet!

I filed a bug report, CMPLRLLVM-44484.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

module duff_use
    implicit none(type, external)
    interface
       module subroutine hw1_user()
       end subroutine hw1_user
    end interface
    interface
       module subroutine hw1()
       end subroutine hw1
    end interface
end module duff_use
submodule (duff_use) du1
    implicit none(type, external)
    contains
    module subroutine hw1()
        write(*,*) 'hello world'
    end subroutine hw1
    module subroutine hw1_user()
        !use duff_use !<<<<<<<this line give error #6406: Conflicting attributes or multiple declaration of name
        use duff_use, only: hw1  !<<<<<<<this line gives ice in IFX
        call hw1()
    end subroutine hw1_user
end submodule du1

The reproducer, note lines 19 and 20. I think "Module subroutine" and "use only" are essential for the ICE.

Unrelated but when I download OneAPI I got a email from the registration centre with a product key and the note "You will be prompted to enter your product key during installation" I don't get why and didn't need it. A bug in the system because I happen to be logged in maybe?

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Thank you for the reproducer! Short and sweet!

I filed a bug report, CMPLRLLVM-44484.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

As for the license key, there is no need for a license key with oneAPI as you know. What package did you download?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I downloaded w_HPCKit_p_2023.0.0.25931_offline.exe and w_BaseKit_p_2023.0.0.25940_offline.exe for ****WINDOWS****!!!

The weird email that arrived a few moment later was (redacted):

Thank you for registering the Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit for Linux* (all tools)

Dear xxxx

Thank you for interest in Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit for Linux* (all tools). You request has been approved and you can now Download the software.

Download

Product Key : xxxxxxx

You will be prompted to enter your product key during installation.

Installing Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit for Linux* (all tools)
Once your download is complete, copy the zip file to your target system and install it:

• Step 1: Prepare your target system with the target OS
  • Step 2: Copy the zip file to your target system...........
Barbara_P_Intel

Windows? Linux? WOW!

I asked the team that delivers the packages to you about this.  They ask, "How did you register for the product?"

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

"How did you register for the product?" I didn't!   I just went to the OneAPI page and downloaded, I had just been on the forum so would have been logged in but I had not been to the registration centre.  It isn't a problem (for me) but I mentioned this as I suspect something on your side is probably foobahed. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

The Lord moves in mysterious ways, she has a sense of humour. 

I find this often helps to pass by the unexplainable.  

That or when someone shows you an unsolvable problem on a computer say with a Fortran program dxf file not loading on Autocad and the system is hung, pull the plug and tell them life is to short for this ______________

On the Lakeland CAM website last night in the old weekly pictures they had Wild Boar sausage rolls in the lake district, worth a flight from Houston by the looks. 

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Thank you! I passed the info along. 

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

The team that manages the package distribution found the problem with that email message and fixed it!  They send along their THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

The ICE is melted for this issue with ifx 2024.0.0 that was released this week. Please try this latest version.

0 Kudos