Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

IFORT debug and release builds hang

AONym
New Contributor II

Intel Fortran Compiler w_oneAPI_2023.0.0.25839; Visual Studio 2022 17.5.3

When I build or rebuild my C++ / Fortran project, during the compilation process, VS hangs. I'm using Intel Fortran Compiler Classic 2021.8.0.

By "hangs" I mean one of Microsoft Visual Studio 2022 threads is using 6-12% of the CPU, and VS shows as "not responding" in Task Manager.

After each hang, which lasts 2-5 minutes VS seems to proceed to the next step in the build process, eventually finishing. The resulting executable behaves normally.

The hangs are more frequent with release builds (when IFORT is optimizing code) than with debug builds. I cannot determine where in the process VS is, because the output window is not being updated during the hangs.

What could be causing these annoying hangs, and how do I get rid of them?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

A few things come to mind.

1) Your Anti-Virus is scanning the output files (though 2-5 minutes seem extreme). This can be fixed by excluding your output folder(s) from scanning.

2) You are compiling Fortran source file created by a program. These tend to have very large numbers of continuation lines with expressions spanning many lines.

3) Interprocedural Optimizations are being too agressive. Try disabling IPO (or selecting single file IPO instead of multi-file IPO).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Are you using a local disk or a network share? Does it do this when building C++ code?

0 Kudos
AONym
New Contributor II

Local disk. It doesn't do this when building C++.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Is there one particular source file that triggers this?

0 Kudos