Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28496 Discussions

IFX Debugger: Watch window show only first array. All other arrays are shown undefined.

NasarAli
New Contributor I

IFORT debugger showing correct dimension of all arrays defined in a routine. Whereas the IFX debugger only shows first array, and all other arrays are undefined. Also, the IFX debugger is unable to determine the correct dimensions of arrays.

Here is the sample code (project attached) and the IFORT and IFX watch windows.

I am using Visual Studio 2022 and IFX 2024.1.0

NasarAli_1-1714456819414.png

NasarAli_2-1714456833397.png                 NasarAli_3-1714456846625.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

The results of internal testing with the upcoming 2024.2 release: 

testy-2024.2.png

Console2-2024.2.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel

Thank you for reporting this to us. I have escalated it to our debugger team and will update you on the status. 

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I thought I had reported this also. Debugger issues like this seem to be many and are now the only reason that I cannot work with IFX. I hope that these can be resolved soon.  Another example using VS2022 and the latest compilers is shown below.

module testy
    implicit none
    contains
    subroutine bill( gbuf )
        character(*) :: gbuf
        gbuf(2:2) = 'z'
    end subroutine bill
end module testy
program struct_test
    use testy
    implicit none
    character(80) :: lemon
    lemon = 'grape'
    call bill( lemon )
end

andrew_4619_0-1714518240791.png

IFORT

andrew_4619_1-1714518326286.png

IFX

Devorah_H_Intel

@andrew_4619 wrote:

I thought I had reported this also. Debugger issues like this seem to be many and are now the only reason that I cannot work with IFX. I hope that these can be resolved soon.  Another example using VS2022 and the latest compilers is shown below.

module testy
    implicit none
    contains
    subroutine bill( gbuf )
        character(*) :: gbuf
        gbuf(2:2) = 'z'
    end subroutine bill
end module testy
program struct_test
    use testy
    implicit none
    character(80) :: lemon
    lemon = 'grape'
    call bill( lemon )
end

andrew_4619_0-1714518240791.png

IFORT

andrew_4619_1-1714518326286.png

IFX

@andrew_4619  Do you refer to your earlier report
If yes, I have checked the status of the bug report—the fix is coming in the 2024.2 Intel Fortran Compiler release. 

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I am surprised there is not more traffic on this forum with IFX debugging problems. I would have thought just the two simple reproducers above would cause plenty of headaches from someone trying to debug with IFX. If you have some problems and/or some simple reproducers please join in! Or maybe like me people just went back to IFX, made no comment and expected fixes to just turn up at some point????

0 Kudos
NasarAli
New Contributor I

Yes, it seems people either did not try IFX, or if did they switch back to IFORT because of the issues.

I did it myself, tried IFX when 2024.0 was released but then switch back to IFORT. Now I have started the migration again and found issues with debugger, power operator, AND operator and BLOCK DATA. I will be soon reporting these issues. 

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

@Devorah_H_Intel , thanks, yes that previous report does look like the same issue. I note that the example I posted here does not show the same symptom, the the previous one the var gave "undefined pointer". In the latest example it shows as len=1. Those are using different compilers levels so maybe they are the same. If it is fixed in an internal build it might be worth quickly checking the new example just in case.

@NasarAli  Intel are chomping through IFX bugs at a great rate  at the moment which is good and I have not seen any issues to build IFX production OK  but the concept of debugging in IFORT and releasing in IFX does not seem like a good plan so I am still using IFORT. 

Devorah_H_Intel

The results of internal testing with the upcoming 2024.2 release: 

testy-2024.2.png

Console2-2024.2.png

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Great news, I will look forward to that. Thanks

0 Kudos
NasarAli
New Contributor I

that's fantastic. Thanks