Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28701 Discussions

IMSL Intel Parallel Studio Xe 2011 Fortran

rafnuaf
Beginner
I used to use Fortran77 many years ago in windows; but now I am starting agoin, but now I am using Intel Parallel Studio Xe 2011 in Ubuntu 2 days ago, so I am a poor beginner (in Intel and Ubuntu).

The think is that I don't have any idea how to use IMSL in this framework (I would like to get some tutorial, manual, whatever). Do I have to install ISML? Where can I get?.

I have a non-commercial license.

Thanks
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you want to use IMSL on Linux with Intel Fortran, you will have to purchase it from Visual Numerics and request support from VNI. Intel does not offer IMSL on Linux.

You may want to look at Intel Math Kernel Library, which is included with Intel Parallel Studio XE, to see if it has routines that meet your needs.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
According to the site about IMSL Fortran support, Ubuntu doesn't appear to be included, and the ifort version they support is 11.1.
0 Kudos
Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner
Why INTEL support only IMSL for Windows? Is there any serious technical resaon or only licensing matters?
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Given that there are so many Linux distributions, of which VNI supports only a few, and the smaller market share of Linux compared to Windows, the position of Intel on supporting IMSL only on Windows seems reasonable.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Our offer of a bundle with IMSL on Windows is largely historical. Microsoft Fortran PowerStation did it, therefore Digital/Compaq Visual Fortran did it, and therefore Intel Visual Fortran did it. We did not have this history of offering IMSL on Linux and the demand seemed too low to start it.

As I noted above, we do offer Intel Math Kernel Library which overlaps IMSL quite a bit in functionality, though IMSL is much broader in scope.
0 Kudos
Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner
I do not know exactly how manyWindows users order Intel Fortran + IMSL bundle, but I know,thata significant number of Linux users at technical or high-performance computing domain use IMSL very intensively.

On the other hand, there are only a few Linuxdistros which plays a crucial role on Linux HPC or TechComputing market (SLES or openSUSE, RHES or CentOS or Fedora, and Debian or Ubuntu). These three classes of distros cover about 90% of market. So, at least the latest stable (LTS) version should be supported by INTEL tools together with IMSL as aoptional part of installation.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It is not a simple matter. There is a cost involved in qualifying IMSL with a particular combination of the compiler and Linux distro, plus licensing issues to deal with. I can say with high confidence that we're not going to look at this for Linux. Please contact Visual Numerics for pricing and support.
0 Kudos
Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner
Ok ... Steve,your statement is absolutely clear... thank you.

The problem is, that VNI is recently not able to provide any relevant info about future IMSL releases compatible with INTELcomposer XE 2011.

Michal
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
In that case you should look at alternative libraries, or consider using the older Intel compiler IMSL is qualified with.
0 Kudos
Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner
So ... what is the current status of IMSL 6 or 7 qualifying for Intel Fortran compiler 12.x. Any progress on this field?

Michal
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
As I replied to your post in the Windows forum, IMSL 6 with Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 is now available. We still have no plans to offer a bundle of IMSL with our Linux compiler.
0 Kudos
Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner

Thanks for replay Steve.

The only problem is, that VNI does not show any progress regarding linux version of IMSL (6 and 7) compatible with intel fortran compiler 12.x. They probably need some help from Intel team ... but of course this is mostly a business matter.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Rogue Wave has not requested any help from us in this matter. You could always request a trial copy from them and try it with the newer compiler.
0 Kudos
Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner
I can confirm that IMSL 6 and 7 for Intel Fortran compiler 11.1 (linux version) from Rogue Wave does not work at all with Intel Fortran compiler 12.x.

Michal
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
> I can confirm that IMSL 6 and 7 for Intel Fortran compiler 11.1 (linux version) from Rogue Wave does not work at all with Intel Fortran compiler 12.x.

That is an overstatement. The few cases where problems arise are related to incompatibility w.r.t. the module files produced by the Intel 11.1 compilers used by Roguewave and the module file format expected by the 12.x compiler used by the IMSL library user.

Specifically, I ran the complete EIAT tests using the Intel64 version of FNL7 from Roguewave/VNI and IFort 12.0.5 Intel64. The only failure was an ICE in compiling the EIAT source files vf1ure.f90 and wf1ure.f90, which are contained in file eimslef.tar.

Even this failure was easily remedied. I extracted the source of the module faure_int from the file numerical_libraries_f90.f90 in the FNL distribution in the include subdirectory, and recompiled the module file faure_int.mod using the 12.0.5 compiler. The module file thus produced was only one byte longer than the one produced by the 11.1 compiler, but the contents are quite different.

Once faure_int.mod was built using the 12.0.5 computer, I was able to run the entire EIAT test battery. Not only were all the tests successfully built and run, but none of the tests produced a "FAILED ON PC64..." outcome.

On several occasions, I have used IFort 12.0.x with FNL6 and FNL7 from VNI, on Windows and Linux, on user code involving calls to IMSL different from those in the EIAT, The few cases where failure occured were afflicted with module file incompatibility, or a flaw in the test case itself.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I will note, from experience, that the EIAT suite does not exercise all of IMSL. But in general I would expect most things to work ok, depending on which compiler version Rogue Wave used to compile the sources.
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Steve,

A request that is a bit off the thread topic.

Could you please take a look at why even the recently released 12.1 compiler reports an ICE rather than detecting an error in reading the .MOD file produced by the 11.1 compiler? Is there not a checksum or something similar in a .MOD file to check for file integrity/consistency/compiler version compatibility?

You could use the files vf1ure.f90 and wf1ure.f90 as test cases from the Windows IMSL FNL7 distribution, in the examples\EIAT\eimslef.dir directory.
0 Kudos
Michal_Kvasnicka
Beginner

> I can confirm that IMSL 6 and 7 for Intel Fortran compiler 11.1 (linux version) from Rogue Wave does not work at all with Intel Fortran compiler 12.x.

>>That is an overstatement. The few cases where problems arise are related to incompatibility w.r.t. the module files produced by the Intel 11.1 compilers used by Roguewave and the module file format expected by the 12.x compiler used by the IMSL library user.

Not, this is not an overstatement, this is a fact. The Intel 12.x compiler has some serious troubles with current IMSL (6 and 7) libraries for Linux. If I understand therecent situation well , the Intel guys are able modify IMSL to work with Intel 12.x compiler, but only for Windows. Linux version is out of scope (!?).

On the other hand, VNI guys are not able respond to Linux IMSL users when will be avalable IMSL 6 and 7 for Intel 12.x compiler.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We don't modify IMSL at all and didn't modify it for our Windows release. If there are issues with IMSL for Linux with the 12.0 compiler, please ask Rogue Wave to report them to us. We have a good relationship with them.
0 Kudos