Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

IVF Release Strategy

ivfuser
Beginner
Could one of the Intel folk help me out here? I probably missed this the firts time around.

I've just installed IVF 9.0.020 and am looking forward to running some regressions on which 9.0.019 came up short. I figured I'd check the release notes first to see what changed between releases. Is the list of five resolved Q-labeled issues exhuastive for this release? I could understand if those were the only items released to manufacturing before a rigid monthly ship date. Is that the case here?

I'm not doubting the importance of these fixes, but it has been my impression that Intel sometimes fixes a lot more in a point-release than is reflected in the release notes. Is that the case this time?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Normally, there would be many more issues fixed in the monthly update. Our development process is that each subcomponent team collects and tests their fixes, and then "promotes" them to the global build. With the number of teams we have working on different parts of the compiler, this has proven to be much more productive than everyone checking changes in to the shared codebase all the time.

Due to non-technical circumstances, the compiler "front end" team was not able to do their promotion in time for the schedule for this update (and the updates are very tightly scheduled with the packaging and validation teams.) This means that a large group of fixes that normally would have made this update didn't. The update at the end of August will have a lot more fixes.

If you reported a problem to Intel Premier Support, you should have been told when to expect to see an update with the fix.
0 Kudos
ivfuser
Beginner
Steve,

Thanks. I appreciate your openness about the release strategy. I was expecting some fixes, predicted to be in this release by staff on Premier Support, but I guess their projections were overtaken by unforseen events. It happens. (And it happens to me and my team on a semi-regular basis.) So I understand and accept your answer. I just wanted to confirm that the list of fixes in the release notes was actually intended to be complete.

Cheers!
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I can't promise that the list is complete, but it's likely to be close to complete, at least as far as the compiler itself is concerned.
0 Kudos