Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Install issues for fortran compiler PATH?

gibus
Beginner

Installed w_ifort_runtime_p_2021.1.1.191.msi

No error messages during install, assumed things went okay. 

Rebooted, opened up ps and typed ifort -> "ifort : The term 'ifort' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet" assumed it wasn't added to path, so I did a search.

Can't find ifort.exe on my system and it's not in PATH. If it has been installed where would it be?

Attempted to repair -> no change, tried reinstalling -> no change. Also rebooted each time.

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Installing a redistributables/runtime package does not give you the compiler (Fortran in this case, but the same holds for the C++ compiler, as well). Such a package merely installs the supporting DLLs and some documentation. On a PC with just such a package installed, one may run EXEs that were compiled and linked on another PC with the full compiler package.

If you wish to compile and link applications or DLLs on a PC, you should install the full compiler and tools package (on top of a previously installed Visual Studio package).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Installing a redistributables/runtime package does not give you the compiler (Fortran in this case, but the same holds for the C++ compiler, as well). Such a package merely installs the supporting DLLs and some documentation. On a PC with just such a package installed, one may run EXEs that were compiled and linked on another PC with the full compiler package.

If you wish to compile and link applications or DLLs on a PC, you should install the full compiler and tools package (on top of a previously installed Visual Studio package).

Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Also, even if you have the compiler installed, it is NOT added to the system PATH. Instead you have to call the setvars.bat file installed in the Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI folder. Intel installs a shortcut for this under the Start menu, but this runs cmd.exe. Getting it to work from PowerShell is a bit more complex. See my comments in this thread.

gibus
Beginner

Managed to install the proper files in the end and my programs are now compiling.

Thank you both,

0 Kudos