Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Intel MPI ALLGATHERV vs GATHERV

Kevin_McGrattan

This might not be the right forum for this question, but I gave up trying to find the "Intel MPI" forum. I have a Fortran code that is compiled with Intel Fortran and MPI. I use this call a lot

CALL MPI_ALLGATHERV(MPI_IN_PLACE,0,MPI_DATATYPE_NULL,REAL_BUFFER,COUNTS,DISPLS,MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION,MPI_COMM_WORLD,IERR)

Works fine. Then I do this

CALL MPI_GATHERV(MPI_IN_PLACE,0,MPI_DATATYPE_NULL,REAL_BUFFER,COUNTS,DISPLS,MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION,0,MPI_COMM_WORLD,IERR)

and it hangs. However, if I do this

IF (RANK>0) THEN

CALL MPI_GATHERV(MPI_IN_PLACE,...

CALL MPI_BARRIER(MPI_COMM_WORLD,IERR)

ENDIF

It works. I fear that I do not completely understand the role of MPI_IN_PLACE. It seems like a bit of a hack to enclose the statement in this IF construct.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_McGrattan

Correction to my original question. I have to do this to get GATHERV to work with MPI_IN_PLACE

IF (RANK>0) THEN

CALL MPI_GATHERV(MPI_IN_PLACE,...

ENDIF

CALL MPI_BARRIER

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

The Intel MPI forum changes its name on a biweekly basis. I think today it's Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit - Intel Community

Kevin_McGrattan

Thanks. I've done some more searching and from what I can tell, there was some discussion about the use of MPI_IN_PLACE by the MPI standards folks. For whatever reason, it was decided to that it was OK to do this at all processes

CALL MPI_ALLGATHERV(MPI_IN_PLACE,...)

but for GATHERV

IF (RANK==MPI_ROOT) THEN

CALL MPI_GATHERV(MPI_IN_PLACE, ...)

ELSE

CALL MPI_GATHERV(SEND_BUFFER, ...)

ENDIF

If anyone has any more insight on this, I'd be glad to hear it, but otherwise my issue is resolved.