Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26730 Discussions

Install order for mutiple Visual Studio and Intel Compiler

esatel
Beginner

I maintain extensions for python that must accommodate python 2.7+ in Windows and that utilize Intel Fortran (f2py). This means I need at least command line support of VS 2008, 2012 and 2017. I regularly use the command prompts from the Intel start menu as the environment for running f2py.

My machine recently got wiped clean and I need to reinstall everything. I remember order was critical and doing it wrong could even mess up the machine. I know I need to install the Visual Studio in chronological order. What I don't know is the minimum intel compilers that I need to install to cover 2008 - 2017. I'm hoping the most recent one plus some 2013 vintage will cover it nicely. 

Also, can someone tell me whether I should "shuffle" the Visual Studio and Intel installs like this:

VS 2008, VS2012, Intel "2013" (or whatever answers my first question), VS2017, Intel 2018

or

VS 2008, Intel "2013", VS2012, , VS2017, Intel 2018

or should I do all the Microsoft and then all the Intel:

VS 2008, VS2012, VS2017 then Intel "2013", Intel 2018

Which, if any, of these will work? Which will preserve integrated Fortran support in the GUI? I have read about the trick of backing up and replacing the Fortran integration folder.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-older-intel-visual-fortran-versions-in-different-mic... tells you how to manage different versions of the Intel compiler in different VS versions. https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe-compilers-required-microsoft-visual-studio tells you which Intel versions support which VS versions.

The order: VS 2008, VS2012, VS2017 then Intel "2013", Intel 2018 would be what you want. Intel 2018 won't be available in VS2008 or 2012.

esatel
Beginner

Thanks. I was aware of the first article, but they didn't cover what to do if you have to span two eras of Visual Studio.