Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Installation of Intel Compiler 11.1.059 under Linux Mint 19.1 fails

Giusti__Valerio
Beginner

Hi everybody,

I had to upgrade my Linux Mint from version 17.3 to version 19.1 as the first reached its end of life.

Under the new Linux Mint 19.1 I need now to reinstall my 'old' Intel compiler suite version 11.1.059. Unfortunately the installation process fails almost immediately.

Here follows the step I'm taking:

valerio@giusti-147:~/Downloads/l_cprof_p_11.1.059_intel64$ sudo ./install.sh
[sudo] password for valerio: **********
Step no: 1 of 7 | Welcome
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the Intel(R) Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Linux* version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press "Enter" key to continue or "q" to quit: <enter>
Step no: 2 of 7 | License agreement
To continue with the installation, you must accept the terms and conditions of
Please type a selection or press "Enter" to accept default choice [1]: 1 <enter>
IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE COPYING, INSTALLING OR USING.
Do not copy, install, or use the Materials provided under this license agreement
Do you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this license agreement?
Type "accept" to continue or "decline" to back to the previous menu: accept <enter>
./install.sh: line 465: 14191 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $pset_engine_binary --log-file=$log_file $silent_params $duplicate_params $params --PACKAGE_DIR=$fullpath

Echoing the failing command in the install.sh file I get the following:

/home/valerio/Downloads/l_cprof_p_11.1.059_intel64/./pset/32e/install.32e --log-file=/tmp/intel.pset.root.giusti-147_06.06.00.02.21.2019.log --PACKAGE_DIR=/home/valerio/Downloads/l_cprof_p_11.1.059_intel64/.

As it concerns my system, the command 'uname -a' returns the following information:

valerio@giusti-147:~/Downloads/l_cprof_p_11.1.059_intel64$ uname -a
Linux giusti-147 4.15.0-51-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 15 14:27:21 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any idea of what can be the problem?

For your information I can add that on my desktop, after upgrading the operating system from LMDE2 to LMDE3, I have been able to install the compilers without problems.

Thanks in advance

Valerio

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Based on experience with Linux installs, I'd guess that the new Linux version has an updated glibc shared library that is incompatible with the old compiler installer. Whether that's due to an installer bug that didn't get exercised or something else, I couldn't say. I do know that new Linux versions and distros were an ongoing sore point for compiler installs due to frequent incompatible changes in the environment - only MacOS was worse in this regard.

I'm not a Linux expert, but maybe you can extract the glibc .so files from the older distro and modify the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point to that first, then try the installer again. Otherwise you may be out of luck - obviously that old installer version wasn't tested against a Linux distro/version that didn't exist at the time.

If that doesn't work, then upgrading to a newer compiler version that supports your Linux version may be the only choice.  But see if http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-compilers-for-linux-and-mac-os-x-compiler-installation-help has any hints that may help.

0 Kudos
Giusti__Valerio
Beginner

Hi Steve,

thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at the link and I followed the instructions therein. Furthermore, I tried to run the install.sh file linking the commands g++, gcc, gcc-ar, gcc-nm and gcc-ranlib to different versions of the glibc library, namely 4.8, 6.5 and 7.4.

Unfortunately, after accepting the license agreement, I always got the same error:

./install.sh: line 465: 24053 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $pset_engine_binary --log-file=$log_file $silent_params $duplicate_params $params --PACKAGE_DIR=$fullpath

I'm fully aware that what I'm facing is something that soon or later it had to happen, ...I hoped later.

Thanks for your help

Valerio

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

It may be helpful if you could display the contents of line 465 (and, perhaps, a few more lines in that neighborhood) of install.sh.

0 Kudos
Giusti__Valerio
Beginner

That's right. Sorry if I did no do that.

Here below it comes the last part of the install.sh file from line 386 to the end (line 482). The offending line is the number 80. The full install.sh file is attache to the post.

if [ "$UID" -ne 0 ]; then

if [ "$skip_uid_check" != "yes" ]; then
	REPEAT_LOOP=1
    else
	REPEAT_LOOP=0
    fi

while [ "$REPEAT_LOOP" = 1 ]; do
	echo "$LI_bash_root_nonroot"    
	echo " "
        echo -n "$LI_bash_root_nonroot_question"
        read  usr_choice &> /dev/null
        if [ -z "$usr_choice" ]; then
    	    usr_choice=1
        fi
        case $usr_choice in
        1 )
                echo "$LI_bash_log_as_root"
#		subcommand="bash $fullpath/$thisexec $@"
		subcommand="bash $fullpath/$thisexec $silent_params $duplicate_params $params --LANG=$user_lang"
 		bash -c "exec su -c \"$subcommand\""
		if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
			exit 0;
		else 
			echo -n "$LI_bash_log_as_root_failed"
			read usr_choice &> /dev/null
			if [ "$usr_choice" = "y" ] || [ -z "$usr_choice" ]; then 
				REPEAT_LOOP=1
			else
				echo "$LI_bash_quit"
				read
				exit 0
			fi	
		fi
                ;;
        2 )
                echo "$LI_bash_log_as_sudo"
#		subcommand="bash $fullpath/$thisexec $@"
		subcommand="bash $fullpath/$thisexec $silent_params $duplicate_params $params --LANG=$user_lang"
  		bash -c "exec su - $USER -c \"sudo su - -c \\\"$subcommand\\\"\""
		if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
			exit 0
		else
			echo -n "$LI_bash_log_as_sudo_failed"
			read usr_choice &> /dev/null
			if [ "$usr_choice" = "y" ] || [ -z "$usr_choice" ]; then 
				REPEAT_LOOP=1
			else
				echo "$LI_bash_quit"
				read
				exit 0
			fi	
		fi
                ;;
	3 )
		echo "$LI_bash_log_as_user"
		REPEAT_LOOP=0
		;;

h )
                echo "$LI_bash_log_help"
                echo -n "$LI_to_continue_question"
                read  dummy &> /dev/null

;;
        q )
                echo "$LI_bash_log_quit"
                exit ;;

* ) echo "$LI_bash_log_invalid_choice"
                 REPEAT_LOOP=1 ;;

esac
    done
fi

touch "$user_tmp/$pset_marker" &> /dev/null
$pset_engine_binary --log-file=$log_file $silent_params $duplicate_params $params --PACKAGE_DIR=$fullpath
exit_code=$?
rm -f "$user_tmp/$pset_marker" &> /dev/null
cd - &>/dev/null

if [ "$old_structure_type" = "no" ]; then
    rm -rf $temp_dir &>/dev/null
fi

## CD Eject Issue

if [ -f "$fullpath"/cd_eject.sh ]; then
    if [ -z "$skip_cd_eject" ]; then
	"$fullpath"/cd_eject.sh $PPID
        exit $exit_code
    fi