Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Installation on new OS rebuild.

GedLee
Beginner

I have tried everything that I know and described in this forum and I cannot get VS to recognize the FORTRAN installation.

Gave up on VS 2022 and dropped down to VS2019.  It installed no problems and then installed a fresh copy of FORTRAN.  VS did not know about FORTRAN, like it used to.

I have used VS and IFort for decades so I am familiar with how it's supposed to work.

Help please.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Which Intel Fortran (not FORTRAN, please) did you install? When you installed VS, did you select the C++ Desktop Applications option? Installing Microsoft Visual Studio* for Use with Intel® Compilers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Which Intel Fortran (not FORTRAN, please) did you install? When you installed VS, did you select the C++ Desktop Applications option? Installing Microsoft Visual Studio* for Use with Intel® Compilers

0 Kudos
GedLee
Beginner

Thanks Steve,

No, I did not select that option.  Do I have to uninstall VS and then reinstall or can I add in that option as it stands?

0 Kudos
GedLee
Beginner

I added the C++ Desktop App option and C++ shows, but still no FORTRAN.  I installed the latest FORTRAN from the Intel site.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

the sequence in which do did things:

AFTER the VS installation of the C++ Desktop Apps extension

did you

1) uninstall the previous Fortran installation

2) once again installed the Fortran compiler

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Right - you need to either reinstall Fortran, or at least do a "Change/Modify". An uninstall and reinstall is safer.

0 Kudos
GedLee
Beginner

Thanks guys, that worked.  The order of things was not correct.

Can I now upgrade to VS2022 with no problems?  Or am I better off staying with VS2019?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I would stay with VS2019 for now. VS2022 doesn't bring you any added functionality for Fortran and has some issues (mainly related to reopening projects that had source files open.) Maybe in a year or so you can migrate.

0 Kudos