Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28657 Discussions

Installing Multiple Compilers under Visual Studio 2005 -- Part the First

Smith__Neill
Beginner
I recently upgraded from IVF 10.0.025 to IVF 11.1.048 under VS 05. I had to install the evaluation version first, followed later by an upgrade to a licensed version. I now only have the IVF 11 compiler within VS 05. .

I have some saved Exes built under the IVF 10 compiler that I am running against new Exes built under IVF 11. In most cases I see output differences in the 5th or 6th significant digit. However, I have some cases where the differences are in the 1st significant digit and the signs don't always agree. I need to be able to reproduce compiles under the IVF 10 compiler within VS 05 so that I can add extra debug output and run parallel debugging sessions.

When I look at my C:\\Program Files\\Intel directory tree I see the following directory structure:

Intel
+Compiler
| +11.1
| | +048
| | +bin
| | +Documentation
| | +help
| | +include
| | +lib
| | +mkl
| | +Samples
| | +setup_f
| | +VSDebugExtension
| +Fortran
| +10.0.025
| +Docs
| +IA32
| | +bin
| | +Include
| | +Lib
| +samples
+IDB
+10.0
+docs
+IA32
+bin
+script

It would appear that my IVF 10 compiler code was preserved during the IVF 11 install process, but it is no longer integrated into VS 05. Is there any way to get my IVF 10 compiler back into VS 05?

If this is not possible, I assume I need to follow the process in the Knowledge Base link "Obtaining and Installing an Older Version" given at the head of this Forum. What is not clear in this article is if the install process will let me add the IVF 10 compiler to VS 05 so that I will be able to access either IVF 10 or IVF 11 under the VS 05 - Tools - Options - IVF - Compilers selection menu. The last few steps in the article end with a rather cryptic statement.

4. Start the installation;
5. Instead of providing a serial number, select the Provide the full path of license file option;
6. Provide the complete path to the license file and include the license file name in the path. For example:
* On Windows* c:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Intel\\Licenses\\w_cc_cd_eval.lic
* On Linux /opt/intel/licenses/l_cc_cd_eval.lic
* On Mac* /Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses/m_cc_cd_eval.lic

The installation should then proceed normally.

Will "proceed normally" get me to where I want to be? A "Part the Second" will depend on the answer(s) that I get here.

Thanks.

Neill Smith
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You still have version 10 installed. Installing it again won't help. The issue is that only one version's VS integration can be used, and you have the newer one. 11.1's integration supports compiling with versions back to 10.1 but not earlier.

You can build the application from the command line using the options to get a debug executable and then debug that in a separate VS session.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
A likely reason for numerical differences may be if you are using the 32-bit compiler with default architecture. You are mightly weak on information on this count. In 11.1 32-bit, to get the equivalent of 10.1 default, you set /arch:IA32. 11.1 32-bit default /arch:SSE2 is equivalent to 10.1 -QxW. If your application depends on double precision evaluation of single precision expressions, you must study the options until you correct your source code.
0 Kudos
Smith__Neill
Beginner
I have not done a command line build of my various Fortran codes in literally decades. However, as I have co-workers who are doing make file builds on Macs, it shouldn't take me long to get a similar setup going on my Windows machine.

I was not aware, however, that I could invoke a debug VS session with an Exe built outside of VS. How does one do this? Will I be able to set break points in the source code files using the VS editor? We use Subversion for our source control, so my usual debug practice is to run two VS sessions -- one pointing to the trunk version and the other pointing to the latest tagged version. Then I step through the two versions starting at a common break point just before where I "think" my problem(s) are. I will be able to do this with a command-line-built Exe? Will VS insist on converting the IVF 10 *.VFPROG files to IVF 11 even though I won't be compiling the tagged IVF 10 version under VS.

I'll address your reply to my significant digits differences with a separate post.

Thanks,

Neill
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
One you have built the EXE, you do a "devenv myprog.exe" from a Fortran Build Environment prompt. Set breakpoints and go. It doesn't touch your existing projects. When you close, it will ask if you want to create a new project, so you can save your breakpoints. You'll need to compile and link with the /debug options.
0 Kudos