Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Intel Compiler Classic Installation Failure Part 2

jwd
Beginner

Good morning:

Yesterday I posted material regarding installation failure. Barbara_P moved the thread to the Installation Forum. I cannot locate that Forum, and I have received no additional email followup on that post.

This morning I attempted installation on another machine (Dell P7920, Windows 10) whereon I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 installed (yesterday's machine has MVS2022 installed). Step 2 (Integrate IDE) recognizes MSV2019, but, again, installation fails on Step 3 (Software Improvement Program) per the attached image.

I am retired, and so can no longer use workplace experts in system hardware and software to help resolve these types of issues. I continue to do research, and am extending capabilities in nuclear and biomedical research areas via a Fortran code I began writing in the 1980's on Crays. During the past year, I have been doing extensive theoretical derivations and installing them in my code, and using gfortran for simulations. All has gone well for decades on various platforms, and test problems for the new theory have been working well until the past week. One of the test problems causes the code to hang during execution. gfortran compile switches in my Makefile are

F90FLAGS = -O2 -g -Wall -fcheck=all -fbounds-check -fbacktrace -ffree-form

Yet execution terminates with no concrete traceback information about the cause of the failure. Debug prints are also not yielding the cause. I used multiple compilers, including ifort, at work to resolve similar issues. Hence, my interest in using the Classic Intel compiler now.

I am grateful that Intel has made these compilers available, and I would be indebted if the installation issue can be resolved.  As a former code developer providing user assistance on a major code, I empathize with Intel staff having to juggle tasks under pressing deadlines while dealing with user problems.

Thanks - jwd

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I am unable to help you with the OneAPI installation problems, beyond stating that I was also unable to install the latest OneAPI release on Windows using the "online installer". However, biting the bullet and installing using the offline installers worked, provided that I let it install in its preferred installation directory (Program Files (x86)\OneAPI) rather than into a location that I wanted.

Regarding the failure without traceback: how big is the package, and does it depend on third-party libraries or tools? Is it a character I/O application, or does it involve a GUI? Are you able and willing to share the files needed for reproducing the problem?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I am unable to help you with the OneAPI installation problems, beyond stating that I was also unable to install the latest OneAPI release on Windows using the "online installer". However, biting the bullet and installing using the offline installers worked, provided that I let it install in its preferred installation directory (Program Files (x86)\OneAPI) rather than into a location that I wanted.

Regarding the failure without traceback: how big is the package, and does it depend on third-party libraries or tools? Is it a character I/O application, or does it involve a GUI? Are you able and willing to share the files needed for reproducing the problem?

Barbara_P_Intel

My apologies, @jwd. Here's the link to the Installation Forum

This link is your question that I moved there.  Unfortunately, I don't see a reply yet. 

Looking a bit at the Installation Forum others report issues with the Windows online installer; I didn't look carefully for a solution. As @mecej4 mentioned, perhaps the offline installer will work better.

Ron_Green

The repository had download issues over the weekend.  I am not sure when it started and ended.  But the error shown looks indicative of a download problem.

It also appears you using the "online" installer.  Download and use the "offline" installer instead please. 

And are you installing the oneAPI HPC Toolkit, the Basekit, or both?  The toolkits are multi-gigabyte kits with a lot of tools you may not want or need.  Read my article on Installing JUST the Fortran compiler.  Use this, use the "offline" compiler-only component package.  Then if you want MKL download and install that.  

ron

0 Kudos