Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28630 Discussions

Intel Fortran Compiler with Visual Studio

jms1
Beginner

I am very new to Fortran and have been suggested to use the intel fortran compiler with visual studio.

I am not able to find any one legit tutorial explaining how to install and integrate the both.

I have tried installing VS 2022 Preview and VS 2022 Community along with the intel HPC toolkit.

But as per the starting guide of intel, for choosing intel fortran options under project types, Im not able to find any (Attachment 1).

Also under tools->options->no intel compiler is found.

I had installed HPC kit and then ticked the visual studio 2022 for integrating which succesfully installs.

But I'm not able to find the intel compiler inside the VS 2022.

I've tried all the methods and support questions, but couldn't succeed.

It would be really helpful if someone guided me through this from the scratch to be able to run fortran programs in intel compiler.

my VS 2022 specs are as follows 

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022
Version 17.10.0
VisualStudio.17.Release/17.10.0+34916.146
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.8.09032

Installed Version: Community

Visual C++ 2022 00482-90000-00000-AA980
Microsoft Visual C++ 2022

ASP.NET and Web Tools 17.10.338.1105
ASP.NET and Web Tools

Azure App Service Tools v3.0.0 17.10.338.1105
Azure App Service Tools v3.0.0

C# Tools 4.10.0-3.24265.4+91c77369a0242946f66e16a04587e2860357beef
C# components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

GitHub Copilot 0.2.889.30432
GitHub Copilot is an AI pair programmer that helps you write code faster and with less work.

Microsoft JVM Debugger 1.0
Provides support for connecting the Visual Studio debugger to JDWP compatible Java Virtual Machines

NuGet Package Manager 6.10.0
NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit https://docs.nuget.org/

Test Adapter for Boost.Test 1.0
Enables Visual Studio's testing tools with unit tests written for Boost.Test. The use terms and Third Party Notices are available in the extension installation directory.

Test Adapter for Google Test 1.0
Enables Visual Studio's testing tools with unit tests written for Google Test. The use terms and Third Party Notices are available in the extension installation directory.

TypeScript Tools 17.0.30327.2001
TypeScript Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio

Visual Basic Tools 4.10.0-3.24265.4+91c77369a0242946f66e16a04587e2860357beef
Visual Basic components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

Visual Studio IntelliCode 2.2
AI-assisted development for Visual Studio.

Thanks in advance for your patience!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ron_Green

In which order did you install?  It should be Visual Studio first.

Then you install the oneAPI compiler.

Uninstall all Intel oneAPI software.  Then reinstall the HPC Toolkit

0 Kudos
jms1
Beginner

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

I just downloaded the VS 2022 community first and then the standalone intel fortran compiler only and integrated with the VS 2022 community.

Now while creating the project, I am able to select the fortran language in the list of languages but I'm not able to view the intel fortran project type as specified in the starting guide of intel.

Also, I typed my first code and clicked the start which flashed the output screen and disappeared, whereas when I click the start without debugging, the output screen freezes until I close.

And

I have a doubt whether I'm running my code in the VS fortran compiler or the Intel compiler, as I was not able to change as given in the starting guide (Attached image)

Thanks a lot for the help.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My guess is that you need to follow the steps in Installing Microsoft Visual Studio* for Use with Intel® Compilers

Ron_Green

As @Steve_Lionel pointed out, it may be time to back out of everything and start over.  

Remove all Intel software

Remove Visual Studio

then reinstall VS using the link Steve gave.

Then install either the oneAPI HPC Toolkit or the Fortran stand-alone component