Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 has been released!

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017, including Intel Visual Fortran Compiler 17.0, is now available from the Intel Registration Center. Release notes can be found here.

Among the new F2008 features are:

• TYPE(intrinsic-type)
  • Pointer initialization
  • Implied-shape PARAMETER arrays
  • Extend EXIT statement to all valid construct names
  • Support BIND(C) in internal procedures

There is also new support for OpenMP 4.5 features, an option to align the code for loops and more.

Visual Studio 2010 is not supported in this version. Visual Studio 2012, 2013 and 2015 are supported. Visual Studio 2013 Shell is included for Commercial and Academic license types if you don't have a supported Visual Studio installed.

A significant change in this release is that the default for intrinsic assignment to allocatable arrays is now to do the automatic (re)allocation if necessary, as specified by the standard. In past releases you needed to specify the /assume:realloc_lhs option to get this behavior. In some applications the additional checking may affect performance - you can revert to the previous behavior by specifying norealloc_lhs or the new option /nostandard-realloc-lhs.

Another change is to correct and make consistent how the compiler treats nonstandard conversions between numeric and LOGICAL types. Please see the release notes for more details.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi Steve,

many thanks for the additional information (product update).

Do you know whether VS 2015 update 3 is supported now? I found no information, which updates of VS 2015 are supported with PSXE 2017 (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-170-for-windows-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe). Currently I'm running VS 2015 update 2.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, VS2015 Update 3 is fine with PSXE 2017.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

is there a list of DPD fixes in this release? I had a look but did not find it.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The list is not available due to limited resources, as it was very labor-intensive to produce. (I can sympathize with this having had to come up with halfway-useful short summaries of bug fixes back in the CVF days.) It may return in the future - maybe even just a list of issue numbers.

As always, if there is a particular issue you are interested in, just ask.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I removed the note about the "license upgrade" as we have backed that out. If you are developing on Windows for the configuration of a codename "Knights Landing" Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor in a Windows system, and are seeing a licensing error from the compile, please contact Intel Premier Support and ask for assistance.

0 Kudos
James_A_1
Beginner

I just installed Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 with Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 already on my machine.

The Dialog Editor is included in the View Toolbars list and checked to be active.  However, when I double-click a *.rc resource file the dialog box does not appear.  Only the dialog source code appears?

How do I activate the Dialog Editor.  Are there supposed to be additional installed products in "About Microsoft Visual Studio"?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

If you are using the Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Shell, as installed by Intel Parallel Studio XE, the resource editor is not provided as Microsoft considers that part of its Visual C++ product. If you have a separately obtained VS2013 it should work. 

Right click on the .rc and select Open With...  Is Resource Editor shown and if so, is it set as the default? If it is in the list but not default, select it and then click Set as Default.

0 Kudos
James_A_1
Beginner

Thanks...

I followed your directions successfully and attempted to make Resource Editor the default.  It returned with fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'afxres.h'.  My previous Visual Studio 2008 has Visual C++ product included.  How do I transfer this to Visual Studio 2013?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

A "transfer" would not be practical. My primary suggestion is to install the free Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition, if your use of that would qualify under its license terms. Just be sure to select a Custom install and check the box for C++. You can then do a reinstall or "repair" of Intel Parallel Studio XE and it will integrate with VS2015.

0 Kudos
James_A_1
Beginner

OK...  Thanks Steve...

That sequence all makes sense to me and I will follow that route.  I am very pleased with Intel Visual Fortran and the linkages to Visual Studio.  This update had me stumbling a little.  Your help should get me back under way...

0 Kudos
James_A_1
Beginner

Closing comments...

I un-installed Intel Parallel Studio XE with Fortran.  Then I re-installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition with a Custom install to include my C++ products.  Finally, I re-installed Intel Parallel Studio XE and it integrated with Visual Studio 2015.  I now have all functionality working properly including the Dialog Editor.

Thanks again...  Everything is running correctly...

0 Kudos
Glenn_R_1
Beginner

Is Parallel studio XE with Fortran compatible with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017? I have seen at least one mention of it being compatible with MSVS 2015 or later, but it does not seem to be working for my installation.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

read the sticky topic at the head of the forum....

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The compatibility is never with some VS version "or later" - it is always with a specific set of VS versions. See here for info on all compiler versions.

0 Kudos