Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel setup tool crash

Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Trying to install parallel_studio_xe_2017_update2_cluster and the setup stops.  See attached snap shot.

Help please.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I'm not finding any similar previous report like this involving the PSXE 2017 Update 2 or earlier releases.

Have you been able to install any Parallel Studio XE releases on this system in the past?

Do you recall whether you downloaded the "online" setup (the smaller download), or the larger offline download file?

I cannot tell how far the installation progressed so can you please look in your TEMP directory (In a directory window type %TEMP% in the address bar) for a folder with a name starting with pset_ and ending with your username. If present then this may contain folders from recent install attempts. If so can you .zip up the latest one and send it to us. You can attach that to a private reply to me (use the Send Author A Message link).

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Yes install couple months ago.  Most like a windows problem.  Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Based on the image provided our installation Engineers indicate the issue is a potentially a corrupt system dll (msi.dll) and recommend running the “scf /scannow” command as an Administrator.

Please be aware this command can make changes to your system so please review the details of this command thoroughly before using it. Here’s are two resources:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491008.aspx

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Yes, I had tried that previously, no joy.  Also unregistered and registered.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Exception code 0xc0000005 is usually an access to an address not mapped. Typically this is an access to some address, perhaps 0, within the first page of Virtual Memory. The first page is specifically not mapped for the purpose of catching reference via uninitialized variable.

It appears that you are installing the 32-bit version of the compiler. Is there some reason why you are installing the 32-bit version?

Last year, I had an installation issue on 64-bit platform where I attempted to install ips 2017u1 Cluster Edition over 2016 non-Cluster edition. The resolution was to uninstall the non-Cluster edition.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Jim,

Thanks for your post. 

Installation is what I downloaded from the Intel site.  Didn't see an option to select either 32 or 64bit.

I am running a 64bit Windows 10 OS, not an Intel64 desktop machine.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Were you able to find any installation logs in the location I noted earlier?

I don't whether those will contain additional details that can help us diagnose what the issue is but if you have those and they can be shared we will inspect them.

0 Kudos