Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28712 Discussions

Internal compiler error related to module name

trobitaille
Beginner
If I create a file with:
module stokes_mod
  implicit none
  save
end module stokes_mod

subroutine propagate()
  implicit none
  call stokes()
end subroutine propagate

and I compile it with
ifort -heap-arrays -check all -warn all -warn nodec -warn interfaces -traceback -g -c test.f90
I get
test.f90(8): internal error: Please visit 'http://www.intel.com/software/products/support' for assistance.
  call stokes()
^
[ Aborting due to internal error. ]
compilation aborted for test.f90 (code 1)
I know that stokes_mod is a poor choice for a module name but this should probably not cause an internal error (the stokes routine is defined in a different file). I am using:
$ ifort -V
Intel Fortran Intel 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel 64, Version 12.0.5.209 Build 20110719
Copyright (C) 1985-2011 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
The error also occurs in 12.0.4 but does not occur in 12.0.2.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the convenient reproducer. The error occurs when compiling only with: -warn interfaces and where the module shares a name similar to an subprogram reference. Maybe avoiding that option for a few select files will help avoid making any source code change to work around the error.

I reported the error to Development (internal tracking id noted below) and will keep the thread updated about a fix.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200225195)

(Resolution Update on 10/27/2011): This defect is fixed in the Intel Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 7 (2011.1.1.256 - Linux)

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee
This defect is fixed in the Intel Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 7 (2011.1.1.256 - Linux)
0 Kudos