Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Interpreting VTune's resutls

hougj
Beginner

Recently I have been working on optimizing a Fortran code.  I have noticed that the VTune profiling results indicate one of the subroutine declaration line took a considerable amount of time.  I'm not sure how this should be interpreted.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

VTune_0.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

When a procedure is entered there is "prologue code" that gets executed to make the dummy arguments available in a manner that the rest of the routine wants. I don't see anything in your screenshot that would imply any significant work in the prologue. Drilling down into the assembly might reveal something more of interest.

hougj
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your suggestion Steve and sorry for my very late feedback.  I have changed the computation algorithm and this problem seems to be gone now.  Maybe this subroutine had been called way too many times before.