Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Is Intel Fortran compatible with Alpine Linux?

JPek
Novice

It's not explicitly called out in the release notes, but I wanted to confirm: Can Intel Fortran be used on Alpine Linux?

When trying to run the install script, it results in this error:

/tmp/l_fortran-compiler_p_2022.0.1.70_offline.sh: line 85: sha384sum: not found
Error: archive corrupted!

Thank you!

Jeff 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JPek
Novice

OK, sorry, the problem is just that the image I'm using doesn't have sha384sum. Let me fix that and try again.

Linux newbieness showing again...

Jeff

0 Kudos
JPek
Novice

May have reached the end of the road:

bash-5.1# /tmp/l_fortran-compiler_p_2022.0.1.70_offline.sh --silent -f /tmp -r no -a -s --eula accept --install-dir /opt/intel-fortran
/tmp/l_fortran-compiler_p_2022.0.2.83_offline/install.sh: line 34: /tmp/l_fortran-compiler_p_2022.0.2.83_offline/bootstrapper: not found

bootstrapper is certainly there, and executable. I'm guessing that it just doesn't want to run on the OS.

Can anyone confirm if that's the case, or if I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Jeff 

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

Silent Install has been problematic in the past.  Can you run an interactive installation instead?  OR does Alpine support package managers YUM/DNF or APT, or Zypper?  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/installation-guide-for-intel-oneapi-toolkits-linux/top/installation/install-using-package-managers.html#install-using-package-managers

This package manager installation will install the oneAPI HPC Toolkit which is probably overkill.  there is a way to get JUST Fortran and MKL with package managers, and it used to be in the document (which I helped write) but appears to have been taken out of the guide!  I will have to re-write instructions on this technique to get JUST the Fortran compiler. 

0 Kudos
JPek
Novice

Alpine uses its own package manager: apk. This is similar to the others, but different.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

another thought - with Alpine linux, is /tmp ramdisk or physical?  Any permissions issues to create files with this UID?  Any size limits, the extraction is multi-gigabytes.  If limited, can you symb link /tmp to someplace with write perms for multi-gig files?

0 Kudos
JPek
Novice

This is running in a docker container, so in that context as "physical" as anything. Permissions are not a problem.

I got farther with this, by adding glibc-compat, but at the end of the day, still was not able to successfully run the bootstrapper -- I think due to other runtime dependencies.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

I'm no expert in containers.

But oneAPI HPC Toolkit does have a docker container:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/containers/oneapi-hpc-toolkit.html

that is as far as my knowledge extends.  Seems to be Ubu 18.04 though, not Alpine. Seems massive at 6+GB also.  Not what I would have expected.

0 Kudos