Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Legacy system migration to .NET

Deleted_U_Intel
Employee
I have a legacy system writed with Fortran 77 and running on VAX system, I want migrate on Win 2003 server with VS .NET and Intel Visual Fortran 8.0.
I want write class with C# that call a dll fortran derived from actual system, I have some problem :
- how to integrate a ddl in to class c#? With COM? With Interop?
- how can I migrate a system call to vax system?
- how can I migrate call to section file golbal map and to common shared?
Bye,
PAOLO
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dlemmon1
Beginner
An excellent way is to use Compaq Visual Fortran's (Professional edition) COM Server wizard to create a COM interface for your code. It works great with .NET apps via COM interop. Sadly, the COM Server Wizard was lost in the translation to Intel Visual Fortran.
I don't believe you can buy the professional edition of CVF any more.
Other Fortran compiler vendors have .NET Fortran compilers that might work for you with some effort.
David
0 Kudos
hweisberg
Beginner
Since you mention running on a server, I'm assuming that you are interested in a multi-user solution. However, with the CVF COM wizard, all your variables will be static, unless you re-write your Fortran code to put all your data in the instance buffer that the wizard provides. This means that if you call your legacy COM object from a Web application, all sessions of the application will share the same variable values. So if one user assigns values to some variables in COMMON blocks, the settings will affect all other sessions.
Interop (Platform/Invoke) makes it fairly easy to call into a legacy (unmanaged) DLL and marshall data back and forth -- probably easier than with COM.
0 Kudos