Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Limit for the size of a Visual Fortran program in Windows

Chris_W_9
Beginner

I have a program with large arrays for ML analyzis in Visual Fortran "Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 6"  win 10 home 64 bit.

I Think I get memory limit errors but I have 32 GB ram memory. The arrays are around 2 GB large in bytes.

Is there a limit how large a Visual Fortran can be?

If I look in 

IS the

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Theoretically, I'd say, as large as the memory in your  machine but smaller than the limits of 64-bits addresses. But that is idle speculation. Can you describe the problems you are facing? Complaints from the compiler, run-time errors, that sort of things. Large arrays cannot come from the stack - they have to be allocated or be defined as SAVEd, because the stack on Windows has a limited fixed size.

The current lack of details does not allow us to give you any specific advice ;).

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Please see the article https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/memory-limits-applications-windows .

0 Kudos
Chris_W_9
Beginner

Many thanks for your comments! The comments helped me to solve the problem by increasing the stack size,

0 Kudos