Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26731 Discussions

Limit for the size of a Visual Fortran program in Windows

Chris_W_9
Beginner

I have a program with large arrays for ML analyzis in Visual Fortran "Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 6"  win 10 home 64 bit.

I Think I get memory limit errors but I have 32 GB ram memory. The arrays are around 2 GB large in bytes.

Is there a limit how large a Visual Fortran can be?

If I look in 

IS the

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

Theoretically, I'd say, as large as the memory in your  machine but smaller than the limits of 64-bits addresses. But that is idle speculation. Can you describe the problems you are facing? Complaints from the compiler, run-time errors, that sort of things. Large arrays cannot come from the stack - they have to be allocated or be defined as SAVEd, because the stack on Windows has a limited fixed size.

The current lack of details does not allow us to give you any specific advice ;).

mecej4
Black Belt

Please see the article https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/memory-limits-applications-windows .

Chris_W_9
Beginner

Many thanks for your comments! The comments helped me to solve the problem by increasing the stack size,