Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Linking problem

fleming__james
Beginner

hen my computer died I was unable to reinstall an academic version of Intel Parallel Studio fortran on my new one, so I bit the bullet and bought full versions of both Intel  Parallel Studio Professional XE 2018 fortran and Microsoft Visual Studio 2915. When I loaded an old project I could compile fine but when I tried to build I got this message: error #10037: could not find "link". I am running the 64-bit version. How can I fix this?

I saw a solution here for someone with the 32-bit version but I have no analogous path to run a pre-installed file.

Thanks,

Arizona user "Sundance"

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

For the build to work, you need the MS SDK tools and libraries, plus the Intel tools and libraries. The linker is one of the MS SDK tools, and should have been installed with Visual Studio provided you chose the optional component of C++ (optional from MS point of view; required for Intel compilers).

Furthermore, the VS integration for Parallel Studio must have been installed correctly.

In the Windows applications control panel (appwiz.cpl), what do you see for VS and Parallel Studio?

Open a command window configured for Intel Fortran, which you should be able to do from the Start Menu. Attempt to compile and link a short C or Fortran program, and report what you find.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The default install of VS2015 doesn't include the required C++ component. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-visual-studio-2015-for-use-with-intel-compilers for help.

0 Kudos
fleming__james
Beginner

Two people noted that VS 2015 does not automatically install the C++ component, but that this is needed in order to use fortran (odd, I thought). So I installed this component by selecting Programs and features from the Control panel, right-clicked on VS 2015, selected "change", clicked the appropriate installation box, then selected update. This worked fine! I was able to rebuild my project that had been created using a prior version of PS. Thanks! -JSF

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The C++ component provides the linker, librarian and the C libraries used by the Fortran library support. Commercial/Academic licences of Intel Fortran install a Fortran-only environment with the necessary bits if you don't have a supported Visual Studio installed. But it can't tell that you have VS but not the required component.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

My machine has a 64 bit CPU, so which one should I use, the 32 bit package, or the 64 bit package ?

Or does it matter which one ?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

You can use whichever you prefer. If your program has large arrays, or needs extensive use of 64-bit integers, use the 64-bit target. If you need to use external libraries (other than the MKL and IMSL, the latter supplied by Intel), the bit-ness of that library dictates the choice.

If you wish to develop for 64-bit, you should have selected the 64-bit VC++ components while installing VS. Similarly for 32-bit.

0 Kudos