Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Listing file?

lklawrie
Beginner

Thanks for the "start new topic" link, Steve.  I was trying to figure it out.

I tried to generate a listing file over the weekend -- it (VS 2008, Intel 13) will generate a source with asm listing but if I ask for just a listing -- it doesn't.  What gives?

ASM listing is quite challenging to try to read -- because I was just trying to see if the #defines that I had done were generating the correct code.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Hmm - there does seem to be a problem here in that setting the Source Listing property to Yes doesn't add /list to the command options in VS2012. It works in VS2010.  Add it manually on the Command Line property page for now. But this won't tell you anything about correct code. You can use "Assembly with Source Code" for the Assembly listing and that may be more helpful.

0 Kudos
lklawrie
Beginner

Thanks, Steve -- never thought to look there.

Assembly with Source Code still is difficult to read.  Looks like all the code lines are included, not just the ones for my "define".

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes - it is the whole compilation.

Now that I realize what you want, a source listing works. Add /list and then read the resulting .lst file. You will see the substitutions for your macros.

The VS2012 issue has been escalated as DPD200240543.

0 Kudos
lklawrie
Beginner

I have VS2008 -- doesn't appear to work there either.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Seems to work in VS2008 for me.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

If all that is wanted is the source code after preprocessing has been done (rather than a more elaborate listing), the /fpp /EP compiler flags can be used to cause the preprocessor output to be sent to the screen.

0 Kudos
lklawrie
Beginner

Steve, I meant in VS2008 that the turning on the list (without the /list added to the command window) doesn't work.  Does it work for you?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, it does work for me. I do have a newer version of the integration installed (a release candidate for Update 2) but would be astonished if that made a difference. Please try it again with Update 2 when it comes out (probably end of this week) and let me know if it still doesn't work for you.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Curiously, I no longer can reproduce the error in VS2012! Discussion with the developers led me to learn that if the "Listing file" property is blank, then no listing file is produced.  This is by default $(IntDir)\$(InputName).lst

0 Kudos
lklawrie
Beginner

That's what was in my version.  $(IntDir)\$(InputName).lst ...  Or, it wasn't blank, in any case.  It's a little curious because the .asm line is $(IntDir) and the .asm file shows up in the "Debug" or "Release" folder.  The lst line is as above and it shows up in the project folder.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Just $(IntDir) is sufficient because the rest of the value just reinforces the defaults. In the case where it does not work for you, does /list appear in the top pane on the Command Line property page?

0 Kudos
lklawrie
Beginner

No, it does not.  Didn't work until I put the /list in the lower pane.  Now, I was only trying to list a single module.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Oh!  That's the difference! It works if you do it on a project level.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I expect the listing file problem to be fixed in Update 3.

0 Kudos