Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Locals not showing on breakpoint in VS2019 while debugging

mrvogt
Novice

Greetings,

A project that I was previously able to debug and see local variables under PSXE, I can still run, debug and hit breakpoints, but local variables are not displayed In Locals or when added to Watch (identifier "something" is undefined). This is opeAPI HPC using ifort. I feel like I'm missing something simple, since others are clearly not experiencing this. I obviously verified I'm on Debug.  Thoughts? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mrvogt
Novice

Likely false alarm. I'm able to see locals in a different part of the code. Just not the one file. Everything seems to work ok though. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Is it really? What do you see in the Type column - uppercase Fortran type names (INTEGER, REAL, etc.) or lowercase C names (long, float, etc.)?

Investigation by Intel has determined that, for some unfathomable reason, the Fortran debugging support is tucked under the GDB component in the oneAPI Base toolkit, which then requires installation of several other large components most Fortran users would not use. The Intel support folk are pushing back on that.

As I said in the other thread, a workaround is to install the last PSXE kit, which will add in the Fortran debug support. Or you can install the oneAPI Base toolkit, selecting the "Intel Distribution for GDB" component and the minimum other components it requires.

0 Kudos
mrvogt
Novice

I can't be certain. I have since uninstalled oneAPI HPC and reverted back to PSXE (where everything is working as expected). After trying out a few things, I did not see the expected hover-over variable popup with derived data types. Also they were not listed in locals.

I appreciate the oneAPI Base + GDB guidance. I might go that direction before too long.  Still finding my Fortran feet after not touching it for a decade. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That sounds as if indeed you had the problem I wrote about in the other thread.

0 Kudos