Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Location of Project Backup Settings

DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Where is the setting for the location of project backups? On my machine this is

P:My DocumentsVisual Studio 2005Backup FilesProject_Name

As this is a network drive, it is part of a performance problem when I am connected via VPN. I have changed all the other settings in VS2005 to point to Documents and Settings on C: but this folder is recreated every time I load and save a project.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I had not known this VS2005 backup feature even existed! As far as I can tell, there is no way to change the location. The best I can suggest is to disable autorecover. I can't even find a registry entry for it.
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Thanks, Steve.

Not a perfect solution, but close. Disabling autorecover still recreates the Visual Studio 2005 folder under My Documents, but at least it is an empty folder. I guess when on VPN there will be a slight delay on load while it accesses this folder, but should not be huge.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You could also do what I did on my laptop which was relocate My Documents to C:. Note that Windows conventions cause My Documents to be the default root for a lot of file-save activities.
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Unfortunately, corporate policy is for My Documents to be on a network drive with Offline files activated.

Thanks, David

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Steve,

Can you please investigate how VS interacts with My Documents? I raised this 18 months ago, and it is still an issue.

When connected through the VPN,my build time goes from 130 seconds to 640 seconds, even though I have all of the VS settings pointing to C:. I also have theVS settings folderset to C:, but VS appears to be waiting for or reading info fromthe network drives, even though no files are ultimately written there.

Due to corporate policy, My Documents must be on the network drive. I do, however, have all of my source code, project and solution files, intermediate files and libraries on the local machine. It does not make sense that simply having the network cable in and connected via VPN should slow the builds down so much.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We don't have any control over this - it is strictly a Visual Studio thing. I notice that with VS08, the directory is not created or touched unless VS is exited, so perhaps the impact is less there.
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
We don't have any control over this - it is strictly a Visual Studio thing. I notice that with VS08, the directory is not created or touched unless VS is exited, so perhaps the impact is less there.

Steve,

This issue relates to more than simply the backup folder, but all of the folders created by VS under My DocumentsVisual Studio 2005. I do not want VS to touch My Documents under any circumstances. Are you able to confirm that VS2008 does not access My Documents (before I purchase an upgrade to VS)?

Thanks,

David

P.S., it is a serious performance issue with me. When working from home, I want to be connected to work via VPN for email, etc, but I do not want to be writing or even accessing network drives while I compile a project with multiple files. The performance is around 10-15%, i.e., takes 10x longer to compile while connected to the VPN. This is totally unacceptable.
0 Kudos
Ron_Green
David,

FYI: Steve is on vacation, returning next week ( 4/20/09 )
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - David White

Steve,

This issue relates to more than simply the backup folder, but all of the folders created by VS under My DocumentsVisual Studio 2005. I do not want VS to touch My Documents under any circumstances. Are you able to confirm that VS2008 does not access My Documents (before I purchase an upgrade to VS)?

Thanks,

David

P.S., it is a serious performance issue with me. When working from home, I want to be connected to work via VPN for email, etc, but I do not want to be writing or even accessing network drives while I compile a project with multiple files. The performance is around 10-15%, i.e., takes 10x longer to compile while connected to the VPN. This is totally unacceptable.

I could swear I replied to this post... maybe I closed the browser before actually clicking "add". Here we go again...

See the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftVisualStudio8.0

For several directories, it points to Visual Studio 2005 folder. What happens if you change those so that they point to a local (rather than network) folder? The principal value is probably "VisualStudioLocation", pointing to the root Visual Studio 2005. Some of those are also accessible through Tools/Options/Projects and Solutions IDE dialog.
0 Kudos