Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

unsuported glibc/hardware

Ivan_Balog
Beginner
Hi all!

I have always used Intel fortran compiler for linux. Yesterday I changed my system to debian lenny and I tryied to instal the compiler v11. The problem is that my computer is old (dual athlon mp 2400+ machine) does not support SMID2 extensions and the instalation could not complete. The second thing I tryied is to install the v10.1. This did not work either because the instalation said that it is supported for use with the combinations: kernel v2.6.x and glibc v2.6.x at latest. The problem is that I have the glibc version 2.7. on my new lenny.

What are my options to install the intel compiler (if any)?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I would have expected the ifort 10.1 complaint about kernel and glibc to be only a warning, permitting you to proceed at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Ron_Green
Ivan,

Since Ubuntu is derived from Debian, please try this:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-compilers-for-linux-with-ubuntu/

and do this with the 10.1 compiler. This should be successful.

I wrote this article for Ubuntu, but it has occurred to me that I should make it generic for all Debian-based distros. If the commands for Ubuntu work for your Debian (which I believe they should) please let me know. I will update the article then to be useful for all Debian users!

thanks

ron
0 Kudos
roddur
Beginner
Well, i shouldnt dare comment after tim and ronald, but as my personal experience and as of intel premium support(i dont know if that is available public or if allow to link that, still, the issue number is 528716 ) suggests that unsupported installation due to kernel/glibc mismatch will not effect the result anyway.
regards,
0 Kudos
Ivan_Balog
Beginner
Ivan,

Since Ubuntu is derived from Debian, please try this:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-compilers-for-linux-with-ubuntu/

and do this with the 10.1 compiler. This should be successful.

I wrote this article for Ubuntu, but it has occurred to me that I should make it generic for all Debian-based distros. If the commands for Ubuntu work for your Debian (which I believe they should) please let me know. I will update the article then to be useful for all Debian users!

thanks

ron

Thanks, very much!

The instalation of 10.1 compiler worked fine, the only thing left to do after the instalation was to set the path to the compiler and debugger. I was a little concerned because of the "glibc" incompatibility issue, but it showed to be unjustified.

Ivan.
0 Kudos