Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

Looking for a complete CVF to IVF compiler options mapping

boyd_hays
Beginner
I'm trying to port DOE2.121 (an energy simulation program), that is built using CVF, to IVF. It's not going well. I want to recreate the CVF compilation options inIVF as best I can.I'd like to find the entire list of compiler options for CVF and their counterparts in IVF.

I apologize in advance if I missed it but I've been unable to locate a complete options mapping specification, eitherin this forum or the knowledge base. All I can find are bits and pieces. Is there such a document and, if so, would someone please point me to it? Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The actual compiler options, for the most part, are compatible. That means that a command line option that worked on CVF would also work on Intel Fortran.

What you may have more trouble with is finding where in the Visual Studio project properties certain options moved. If you look up the CVF command option in the Intel documentation for command options, you should find any suggested replacement as well as where it appears in the properties.

What specifically are you having problems with? I assume you have read the Migrating from CVF article.
0 Kudos
boyd_hays
Beginner
Yes, I've read the migrating document; I'm not using Visual Studio, it's a command line build for which I had to adjust some of df's options.

I was hoping for something more explicit w.r.t. options. I'll try looking up the CVF command option in the Intel docs; I didn't see it at first glance. Indeed, its the implicit defaults that aren't configurable (if any) between CVF and IVF that might have changed that has me most worried.

The problem surfaces with this runtime error: "forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read", reading a binary file produced by another IVF compiled application. (The binary content of the that file produced with IVF and CVF are identical.) I thought perhaps there were word size/alignment/character packing issues that I was seeing; hence my interest in a detailed document describing explicit and implicit changes in the compiler's handling of options.

Since the DOE2 code has been hardened over a couple of decades, last compiled under CVF, I was trying to recreate the options as best I can in IVF. I'm hoping I can get IVF to compile/run this legacy code since I'd rather not track down an purchase a 10+ year old CVF compiler.

Are most folks successful in their CVF -> IVF port or do many resort to purchasing an EOL'd copy of CVF?

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Most people who try IVF are successful migrating and stay with it. The only folks I have heard from who try to buy more CVF are those using third-party libraries not supported with IVF.

The migrating document describes most of the differences in defaults. I can't think of what might affect your I/O - there are no changes in the areas you mention. If you need more help and you don't want to use the forum, open an issue at Intel Premier Support and attach a buildable/runnable test case and we'll be glad to help. It's probably something simple.
0 Kudos
boyd_hays
Beginner
The solution was to add the /Qsave option; it took several hours, and a lot of trial and error to discover this.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I see I need to add that to the article - sorry for the omission. I will note that, as of version 11, if you "convert" a CVF project, /Qsave gets set automatically.
0 Kudos