Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Migrating From VS2010 to VS2015

Stephen_Sutcliffe1

Help!

I've recently acquired the latest version of Visual Studio Professional 2015 (at great expense) as Intel Parallel Studio 2017 is no longer supported by VS2010 and I want to keep up to date with developments.

I installed both products and then tried to rebuild an existing multi language application defined in a solution file that previously worked using to older versions.

I anticipated problems may arise when upgrading to newer versions of programs so before i attempted the rebuild I copied the entire directory structure that I had set up previously into a separate place so as not to corrupt the tried and trusted VS2010 & Intel PS 2016 workspace.

I installed VS 2015 first and then Intel PS 2017. I thought I could just open the solution file and everything would get migrated into the new environment. However I found the following issues arose:

1) The c libraries have the words (unavailable) "The project file was unavailable" under the library name.

2) When compiling I get the following messages:

1>warning #31001: The dll for reading and writing the pdb (for example, mspdb110.dll) could  not be found on your path. This is usually a configuration error. Compilation will continue using /Z7 instead of /Zi, but expect a similar error when you link your program.
1>Creating library...
1>xilib: error #10037: could not find 'lib'
1>Lib: error spawn_errno_default: spawn('C:\PROGRA~2\INTELS~1\COMPIL~3\windows\bin\Intel64\xilink.exe') failed, errno=0
1>

The mspdb110.dll relates to VS2010 so something appears not been converted properly, or maybe I'm expecting too much for the process to be straightforward.

What do I need to to get the solution set up so that it works as it did previously?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Vs2015 returned to making c++ and library optional. You would return to vs install menu to select c++ and check that run time library is selected. After this upgrade a reinstallation of Intel compiler may be required or at least replacement of vs shell .
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

For further details, see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-visual-studio-2015-for-use-with-intel-compilers

I'll comment that the Intel Parallel Studio install gave you a warning that there was no C++ support present - I've asked the install team to make this an error that stops the install.

0 Kudos
Stephen_Sutcliffe1

Thanks Tim & Steve

II installed the C++ and now everything has compiled and linked ok.

Thanks again

Steve

0 Kudos