Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28434 Discussions

Minimal FORTRAN Installation Size for Docker

Denney__William
Beginner

Hi,

I'm wanting to install Intel Parallel Studio 2016 update 3 FORTRAN Composer Edition with the FORTRAN compiler and MKL libraries in Docker.  For this, I want to do the minimum possible installation for an installation that should be used with almost no user interaction (compiling different data, and I want to remove things like sample code and documentation.

Looking at the documentation at https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/94/bf/Install_Guide_0.pdf in section 4, it appears that I can remove the following directories:

• debugger* (assuming that I don't need the debugger)
  • documentation* (this will not be used interactively, and documentation isn't needed in this installation)
  • ide_support* (no IDE will be used)
  • ism (I can update the license using offline methods)
  • man (I won't need manuals-- the installation won't be used interactively)
  • samples* (again, not interactive)

Are there additional folders or significant directories that I can remove to shrink the installation size?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You can't select most of these during installation, but you can remove them afterward. The ones you list should be safe to remove. MKL is larger and you have some install options there as to what should be copied. For the compiler you may want to say no IA-32 support assuming you will be building for x64 only. I'll comment that there is no IDE support for Fortran, though a folder does get created since the layout is shared with C++..

0 Kudos
Denney__William
Beginner

Thank you for that confirmation!

I found a link that pointed me to mediaconfig.xml to describe the individual packages on the components line of the silent.cfg file.  As I've looked in there, it's not clear to me exactly what can be removed or not.  I took out anything called "*doc*" as they all appeared to be documentation.

I then noticed many "*-jp*" components.  They aren't described well in mediaconfig.xml.  Are they Japanese files that wouldn't be required on a server that only needs to support English?  Is there a better description of each item in the components section?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No, there isn't documentation of the installer's files. Yes, -jp files would be Japanese language, but the files for those aren't included except in installs explicitly labeled as containing Japanese language support.

0 Kudos
Denney__William
Beginner

I somehow got the Japanese files included in my silent.cfg file when using the --duplicate flag to the installation script.  I've removed them now.  Since they're not documented, can you take a look at this list of components and let me know if anything else can be cut from the list to get a FORTRAN installation with MKL and MPI?

• intel-mpi-rt-core__x86_64
  • intel-mpi-rt-mic__x86_64
  • intel-comp-l-all-vars__noarch
  • intel-comp-l-all-common__noarch
  • intel-comp-l-ps-common__noarch
  • intel-comp-l-all-devel__x86_64
  • intel-comp-l-ps-devel__x86_64
  • intel-comp-l-ps-ss-devel__x86_64
  • intel-openmp-l-all__x86_64
  • intel-openmp-l-ps-mic__x86_64
  • intel-openmp-l-ps__x86_64
  • intel-openmp-l-ps-ss__x86_64
  • intel-openmp-l-all-devel__x86_64
  • intel-openmp-l-ps-mic-devel__x86_64
  • intel-openmp-l-ps-devel__x86_64
  • intel-openmp-l-ps-ss-devel__x86_64
  • intel-ifort-l-ps__x86_64
  • intel-ifort-l-ps-vars__noarch
  • intel-ifort-l-ps-common__noarch
  • intel-ifort-l-ps-devel__x86_64
  • intel-mkl__x86_64
  • intel-mkl-ps__x86_64
  • intel-mkl-common__noarch
  • intel-mkl-ps-common__noarch
  • intel-mkl-devel__x86_64
  • intel-mkl-ps-mic-devel__x86_64
  • intel-mkl-ps-f95-devel__x86_64
  • intel-mkl-gnu-devel__x86_64
  • intel-mkl-ps-gnu-devel__x86_64
  • intel-mkl-ps-f95-common__noarch
  • intel-mkl-gnu__x86_64
  • intel-mkl-ps-gnu__x86_64
  • intel-mkl-ps-mic__x86_64
  • intel-fcompxe__noarch
  • intel-psf-intel__x86_64
  • intel-psxe-common__noarch
  • intel-icsxe-pset
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I'm not sure about some of those MKL files. You probably don't need anything with "mic" in the name (that's for Xeon Phi development). Not sure about the "gnu" entries.

0 Kudos
Denney__William
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response.  If I'm compiling for Xeon processors with Phi co-processors, should I keep the "mic" entries or are they for something else?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, if you are targeting Xeon Phi coprocessors, keep the "mic" entries.

0 Kudos