Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Missing prerequisite: system running in virtual environment

Michael_G_2
Beginner

Dear all,

I'm trying to install the Intel compiler 2018 version and I'm getting the following missing prerequisite:

-- The system is running in the virtual environment. Sampling drivers will not be installed.

The system is running in the virtual environment. Sampling drivers will not be installed to avoid the system instability. If the system virtualizes a Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU), the Hardware Event-based Sampling (EBS) analysis will run a driverless sampling collection via Linux Perf* tool. For the list of supported virtual environments, see the System Requirements section in the Release Notes.

Should I proceed with the installation process and if not, what should I do?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Yes, proceed. You will be able to use VTune, however, because you are running in a virtualization environment, VTune will not have access to the hardware Performance Monitoring Unit (as it does when you install in a physical environment - non-Virtual).

You can do Basic hotspots, and apparently get additional information from the Linux Perf* tool on some virtualized systems.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Michael_G_2
Beginner

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Though you are running on a Linux system, and not Windows, when on Windows, in order to get hardware event handling, you must run VTune with administrative privileges. When you run VTune on Windows without administrative privileges you can perform Basis Hotspot analysis. The sampling driver (daemon) on Linux also requires similar access privileges (ring 0). I do not have any experience in using VTune in a virtual environment (where the "PC" is virtualized as opposed to the application within the "PC" being virtualized). Someone else here may have some hints for you. See also:https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-on-virtual-machine

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos