Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Modify compiler options

JManuel
Beginner

Hello there,

I'm really new to the IDE Visual Studio and the Intel Fortran, I am trying to do a modification to the compiler, as is asked in this past post of this forum, specifically the last answer to that post. The problem is that as being new to this environment I do not know where to write the "/Qinit:zero" statement. I tried searching on the forum but it is a little complicated to me understand exactly where to write the previous command from the Compiler Options on Visual Studio as is noted here. I understand all the advices against using that command and I will try to implement them in a near future but right now I need just to do that. 

Also, any advice for using the features of the Intel compiler to find undeclared and uninitialized variables would be appreciated, such a tutorial or reference book. Thanks in advance!

I'm using Intel Fortan compiler 19 and Visual Studio 2019.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

If you're using Visual Studio, most options can be set by using one of the project property pages. The documentation tells you where each setting is, if there is a property for it. For example, you want Data > Initialize Variables to Zero (Most common ones are there). For options not available in properties, you can type them in on the Command Line property page.

There is a compiler option to do run-time checking of uninitialized variables, but it is limited in usefulness. Run-time > Check for Uninitialized Variables (-check [no]uninit)

Documentation can be found online and available for download to reference locally. For pointers and more useful tips, see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-information-and-frequently-asked-questions

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

If you're using Visual Studio, most options can be set by using one of the project property pages. The documentation tells you where each setting is, if there is a property for it. For example, you want Data > Initialize Variables to Zero (Most common ones are there). For options not available in properties, you can type them in on the Command Line property page.

There is a compiler option to do run-time checking of uninitialized variables, but it is limited in usefulness. Run-time > Check for Uninitialized Variables (-check [no]uninit)

Documentation can be found online and available for download to reference locally. For pointers and more useful tips, see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-information-and-frequently-asked-questions

0 Kudos
JManuel
Beginner
Hello Steve Lionel! thanks for the guideance it worked, I know what I asked is pretty basic but for me all this is new. By the way, this is not the first time that you helped me out, Im new to Intel Fortran but I've been working with Fortran for over a year, and every time I asked to google about some how to fortran, your name is listed now and then, so again thanks!
0 Kudos
JManuel
Beginner

Hello Steve Lionel! thanks for the guidance it worked, I know what I asked is pretty basic but for me all this is new. By the way, this is not the first time that you helped me out, I’m new to Intel Fortran but I've been working with Fortran for over a year, and every time I asked to google about a "how in fortran?", your name appeared now and then, so again thanks!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos
JManuel
Beginner

Thanks again!

I will check those links, but the first and second doesn't work.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I can reach those pages even on Windows where I am blocked from reaching Intel login server. From Android I can reach the pages either by satellite or 4G cell tower. If I disable mobile data I can't reach anything on this site through cell tower.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

All of the links work - I checked them - but Intel's external-facing network can behave very oddly at times.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Steve Lionel (Ret.) (Blackbelt) wrote:

All of the links work - I checked them - but Intel's external-facing network can behave very oddly at times.

Yes network issues can be interesting -- I am trying to access a computer remotely and some set systems juat make this impossible for some methods. 

If today is today of the dead is it Fortran's birthday. 

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Fortran .NOT. DEAD

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
JManuel
Beginner

Yeah those links worked, but it is odd that only in chrome didn’t; anyway, thank you. I will go through those pages.

0 Kudos