Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28470 Discussions

My menu, toolbar & stsatus bar have disapeared

davidgraham
Beginner
I have been debugging my program and suddenly my menu, toolbar & statusbar have all gone. Previously they were all working correctly.

hmenu = LoadMenu(hInstance, LOC(lpszMenuName))
hWndSB=CreateDialogparam(hinst,MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_SB),hwnd,loc(DlgProc),0)
hWndTB=CreateDialogparam(hinst,MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_TOOLBAR),hwnd,loc(ToolDlgProc),0)

all return 0.

Do you have any idea what I could have done.
The *.rc file looks OK.

Thanks
0 Kudos
59 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You are using the VS08 Shell which, in some older versions, omitted comsuppw.lib. You can install the Windows SDK to find that library or uninstall Fortran and the VS Shell then download the current full Fortran that includes the shell to get it.
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
Free resource explorers will allow you to confirm that the dialogs and menu resources are definitely present in the .EXE file (see, for example http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Resource-Explorer-Download-52595.html).

Perhaps you should edit the project configuration to add a new platform, X64 (so long as you have installed the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the compiler) and compile for that and see what happens?

Otherwise I'll leave it for Steve Lionel and others to comment on the possible 64-bit consequences, as I do not use 64-bit at present.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Thanks,
1. I previously installed SDK from this this post:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=82067&o=a&s=lr

comsuppw.lib is not included.

Therefore you suggest uninstalling ivf and Visual Studio and downloading the new ivf.
Is the download ivf different to what is on the CD I bought?
I could not find where to download it on the intel site. I clicked on "buy" but it just gives a list of resellers.
Where do I download it?

2. I tried changing to x84 on the dodgydialog example and it gave several compile errors (which I'm not sure how to fix) - I'm not sure this is the problem.

My program was 'OK' (apart from it occasionally hanging) until I used ResEdit to edit the resources.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
To download updates, log in to the Intel Registration Center. If you had not previously registered, do it then. Yes, we have had three updates since the DVD was produced, and a fourth is coming this week.

The Windows SDK does include comsuppw.lib.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
I uninstalled IVF & Microsoft Visual Studio Shell and downloaded the current IVF.
I het the following error message when I open the 'dodgydialog' project:-
"Package Load Failure"
Package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml' has failed to load properly. Please contact vendor for assistance..."

I pressed OK to continue and when I try to compile the program I get lots of errors - 11018 cannot open version.lib, kernel32.lib, user32.lib, gdi32.lib etc.

What have I done wrong?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please uninstall again, then reinstall. When you uninstall, be sure to also get "Microsoft Tools and Libraries for Intel Visual Fortran"
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
I uninstalled IVF, Microsoft Tools & Libraries for IVF & Microsoft Visual Studio Shell and downloaded the current (update 4) IVF.
I still get the following error message when I open the 'dodgydialog' project:-
"Package Load Failure"
Package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml' has failed to load properly. Please contact vendor for assistance..."

I pressed OK to continue and when I try to compile the program I get lots of errors - 11018 cannot open version.lib, kernel32.lib, user32.lib, gdi32.lib etc.

What have I done wrong?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please try the uninstall reinstall one more time. This time, delete the Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 folder before reinstalling. If this still fails, I will ask our install developers for assistance.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Thanks,
I will give that a try.
In Conrol Panel - Programs & Features, there is 'Intel Management Engine Components', I haven't uninstalled it, I assume that is correct.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Just about to delete Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 and see it contains Visual Basic 2008.
I'm using Visual Basic 2008, so I would rather not uninstal Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Correct - that's not part of the Fortran product.

If the reinstall doesn't help, try running through the steps here, including the repair tool.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
I have not unistalled Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 as it contains Visual Basic 2008.

I have started to read the trouble shooting guide.

I have Visual Basic 2008 installed which uses Microsoft Visual Sudio Express.
Is this a problem?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Oh, yes it is a problem. I am not sure if this will work, but try this. Uninstall Visual Basic Express. Install Intel Visual Fortran WITH the Visual Studio Shell. See if that works for Fortran. Then reinstall Visual Basic.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Thanks for the suggestion.
I unistalled IVF, Visual Studio Shell, IVF libraries Visual Basic, deleted the Microsoft Visual Studio directories.
I then installed IVF and when I tried to run it a got some errors about missing files, but it allowed me to open and compile the project. But when I run it, I get the message, "Error initialising application DodgyDialog". When I try opening IVF again I no longer get the missing files errors but cannot run the application.

I installed VB express and the updates and VB runs but with IVF I still cannot run the application. (I was worried that I would no longer be able to use VB).

Do you have any more suggestions?
I wonder whether I have to buy the full Visual Studio?
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
I think you ought to try my DodgyDialog project on a 32-bit OS running the 32-bit IVF compiler and see if it works, as it does on my workstation. If it works, then your problem may be related toyour compiling it for a 64-bit OS without due care being modifying the code to use integer handles etc. as 8-bytes long, or something similar.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Thanks for your suggestion but I'm not sure what I need to change to get 32-bit OS running the 32-bit IVF compiler.

I'm running Windows 7 and the System type is 64-bit operating system.

In IVF, if I go to Project properties and Configuration Manager the Active Solution platform is Win32 and for the Project the platform is Win32.

What do I need to change?
Thanks

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Nothing - those settings will get you a 32-bit application. You don't need to find a 32-bit OS.
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Thanks, I've tried that.
I get 'IDD_dodgydisalog Initialisation Error - Extended error 0' click OK and the program exits. No buttons were displayed and I didn't have to use the taskbar.
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
I would suggest creating the simplest Fortran dialog project and getting that to work.
Select New..Project..Intel Visual Fortran...Dialog Code, default name 'WinApp1'.
MAke sure that the 'resource.fd' file is included in the solution window.
Add it to the solution as an existing item if necessary.

Build the solution and run it. That should work straight out of the box.

Then, if you have the VS resource editor, I would recommend doing the following:
(as I think RESEDIT will not permit you to drag and drop resources between panes)

Search for and Open the dodgydialog.rc file.
Open the WInApp1.rc file

Close all tabs other than these two
From the 'window' menu, choose 'vertical tab group', which should put the two windows side by side in visual studio (
expand the 'Dialog' tree in dodgydialog.rc window
Use the mouse to drag the IDD_AIROBS_CHECK dialog over to the WinApp1.rc pane.
This should add the IDD_AIROBS_CHECK dialog (and all of its controls) to the WinApp1 resources. Check it has done so.
Close the dodgydialog.rc file, ignore all changes.
Save the WinApp1.rc file, saving the changes.

Make some code additions to WinApp1.F90...

in the WinApp1Apply call-back routine,

Change
type (dialog) dlg

to

type (dialog) dlg, adlg

After 'implicit none' add

include 'resource.fd'
LOGICAL*4 LRET

Then finally insert the following code after '! TO DO; Add your APPLY logic here'

lret = DlgInit(IDD_AIROBS_CHECK, adlg)
lret = DlgModal(adlg)

Save the file and rebuild.

Now when you execute the program, the 'Apply' button on the WinApp1 dialog should cause the IDD_AIROBS_CHECK dialog to open.

If that works, then use the 'Exit' but to quit each dialog.

If the above works, then there is no inherent problem on your system with adding resources to the executable. Otherwise, you do have a serious problem!
0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner
Thanks for that suggestion.

I created a new project. The resource.fd file wasn't included in the solution window so I added it.
I compiled it and ran the application.
It gives the error message "Error initialising application WinApp1".
Is there any way I can see why lret = DlgInit(IDD_WinApp1_DIALOG, gdlg) fails?

When I started upgrading from CVF to IVF my programs did compile and run. It is only since around the time of using ResEdit that they have all stopped working - but I don't see the connection.
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
Unfortunately, DlgInit only returns a pass/fail value. You will have to call GetLastError to get an error code and then you should display it in a message box or print it out and then look up the meaning in the numbered list of system errors, assuming that the function that fails calls SetLastError.

It is weird that the simplest dialog example fails on your system. It is therefore not a Resedit problem since that editor has not been anywhere near the IVF-created dialog application WinApp1 (I presume?).

Perhaps, around the time that you downloaded Resedit, you may have unwittingly downloaded a virus or other malign bug that has screwed up your system?
It may be a good idea to do a system restore to a time before that period, just to see if that improves things.
A full anti-virus scan, in safe mode, would be a good idea too.
0 Kudos