Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28463 Discussions

Next Iteration of the Great Project

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Intel has released without fanfare the update to ONEAPI.  I am uploading it now.

Based on prior experience in about a week we can expect an announcement from INTEL.  

So far so good. 

John

Question of the week?  You are an engineer why did the bridge fall down when it was hit by a 100 tonne vessel. 

Answer:  It was not a 100 tonne vessel, it contained a lot of loads that are equivalent to 100 tonnes, each, but it is not 100 tonnes. 

Question of the 90's?  We have to give approval for this structure to be taken down, you cannot decide. 

Answer: God has decided and based on Newtonian Math it is going to land in that street in Front of the Hospital between 6 am and noon tomorrow, we are happy to wait, what are you going to tell the newspapers?  PS We want it in writing so if someone dies you are responsible.  

Response: Unprintable, they walked away and I took it down safely. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

@JohnNichols, the version is silently released first to give the PV (product validation) team a day or two to make sure you customers can download the packages successfully and fix any issues identified. THEN we announce it.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

@Barbara_P_Intel , your response has brightened an otherwise challenging day in a far flung state of the union.  The THEN was fantastic to my stressed mind.  

I announce early merely to get your response, I could not care less about Jim getting it a day earlier.  

My apologies, but it is the warped mind of an engineer with not enough time and few friends in the world.  

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

100 tonnes? I suspect it was well over 100 tonnes.

It looks like above deck there were 100-200 containers, and I couldn't tell how many were below deck.

Each container may have been empty or packed full (?? 0.5T to 20T each ??). Will have to read a report.

The ship appears to be low in the water (maybe it took on water after the collision as the bow is lower than the stern).

From my understanding, the bridge lasted 40 years. I do not know what the cost-benefit of making the replacement bridge collision-proof (nothing is really collision-proof).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Some measures from news articles, regarding the Dali:

nearly 1000 ft long, empty weight of ship = 95,000 tons 
4700 containers on board; capacity about 10,000 standard containers. You may try to estimate the count from this photograph .
2 fell overboard
56 contained hazmats (764 tons); several were breached by the collision and contents spilled into water
1.5 million gallons of fuel & lube oil on board, about  5,000 tons (no leaks yet), 

An empty 20 ft container weighs about 2 tons.

Planned path: around S.Africa to Colombo (Sri Lanka), to avoid piracy near Horn of Africa and conflict areas near Red Sea.

0 Kudos
prop_design
New Contributor I

one interview i saw said that after the sunshine skyway bridge got ran into and collapsed, they rebuilt it and placed underwater structures to divert ships from hitting the columns. apparently, not all bridges have those. hopefully, they will start doing something to protect the bridges from getting hit. you can't expect anything to withstand that kind of impact. i would think putting in those type of diverters would be fairly economical.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

An article in today's Tampa Bay Times examines the Key Bridge impact and collapse from the perspective of the Sunshine Bridge failure and the altered design features of its replacement (1987).  A photograph of the "dolphins" is included in the article. Thirty-six dolphins were installed, at a cost of $ 1 million each. One of them got hit by a runaway shrimping boat on inauguration day.

The Key bridge was built in 1977.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Always stand behind the golfer driving the ball,  or do not put piers into a major harbour on a major bridge, you can build a 1 km long arch bridge, ok it is costly but it does not drop into your harbour as the ship cannot hit it from below if the harbour master does thye job, the piers saved a little money a long time ago, the money has now been recouped by the accident many times over.  

I wrote a paper along these lines a few years ago. 

Thye being a nongender specific pronoun statistically estimated from the set of old English pronouns etc.. 

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

If thy eye offend thee,...

Jim

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
0 Kudos