Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

No MIC MPI installation for 2018 release?

j0e
New Contributor I

I just removed Intel Parallel Studio Cluster Edition 2017 and installed the 2018 version on a centOS box.  However, when I tried to compile Fortran code for MIC, mpifort said it couldn't find /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2018.0.128/linux/mpi/mic/bin/mpivars.sh  Sure enough, there is no "mic" directory in the mpi directory.  When I did the install, there was only an option for installing the MIC debugger, which was checked.  The mpss was running when I installed 2018 version, and it did not say it was going to shut down mpss for the install, which it usually does.  Any ideas why 2018 version did not install MIC support for mpi?

thank

-joe

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
In release notes you should find information on deletion of support for Mic knc.
0 Kudos
j0e
New Contributor I

argh, I see it now.

3.1.2 Support for the Intel® Xeon Phi™ x100 product family coprocessor (formerly code name Knights Corner) is removed in this release The Intel® Xeon Phi™ x100 product family coprocessor (former code name Knights Corner) was officially announced end of life in January 2017. As part of the end of life process, the support for this family will only be available in the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 version. Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 will be supported for a period of 3 years ending in January 2020 for the Intel® Xeon Phi™ x100 product family. Support will be provided for those customers with active support.

Oh well, I was never able to leverage those cards anyway, except for simple idealized test cases, and the upkeep of mpss was a pain. My latest cluster purchase did not include any phi cards.

Thanks Tim

0 Kudos