Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

No compiler errors in VS output window

Mike_Z_
Novice

VS 2019, Fortran Compiler 19.1.0.166.

When compiling program contains error(s), I see in VS windows only following:

------ Build started: Project: MMDS3D, Configuration: Debug|x64 ------

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.0.166 [Intel(R) 64]...
MMDS3D.f90
compilation aborted for D:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\MMDS3D\MMDS3D.f90 (code 1)

Build log written to  "file://D:\My%20Documents\Visual%20Studio%202019\Projects\MMDS3D\MMDS3D\x64\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
MMDS3D - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

---------------------- Done ----------------------

All real compiling errors I can see in listing file only. What's wrong?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Please ZIP the buildlog.htm and attach it to a reply here.

0 Kudos
Mike_Z_
Novice

See attached

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I opened the file.

I looked at the file.

I went on line and looked at the manuals -- great manuals.

I scratched my head and knew this is a Steve or a mecej4 or a JD problem and I went back to Sunday morning 

Sorry mate. 

PS If it was me I would create a new program and slowly copy the lines into it - compiling it often.  

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I've seen this behavior before, though it is rare, As best as I can describe it, it's the equivalent of an Internal Compiler Error.

What I would do when triaging such things is to copy the command line from the build log and run it from the command prompt (you need to make sure you're set default to the project folder.) I'd then start selectively removing options until (I hoped) I found the one that made a difference. Then I reported the problem to the developers.

0 Kudos
Mike_Z_
Novice

Thank you Steve.

Same project, same problen with VS 2017 and earlier compiler version:

------ Build started: Project: MMDS3D, Configuration: Debug|x64 ------

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.0.4.245 [Intel(R) 64]...
MMDS3D.f90
compilation aborted for D:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\MMDS3D\MMDS3D.f90 (code 1)

Build log written to  "file://D:\My%20Documents\Visual%20Studio%202013\Projects\MMDS3D\MMDS3D\x64\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
MMDS3D - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Problem that compiler works well, but I can see errors in compiled file in listing file only, not in VS window. When I recover all source file errors, all works well and good working exe file is created. So, inconvenience that I cannot see errors immediately, and forced to look source listind produces by compiler. I suspect some project or compiler parameters errors.

Will try to remove options as you advice.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Or it may be that the "pipe" from the compiler output to the output window is broken. I suggest an uninstall and reinstall of Parallel Studio XE and see if that helps.. My guess is that if you do the compile from the command line it will work.

0 Kudos
Mike_Z_
Novice

I reinstall compiler. Compilation errors shown in VS, so result is different, but bad

fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'C:\Program.obj'

All project parameters looks normal. Project uses IMSL library...

0 Kudos
Mike_Z_
Novice

Forgot BuildLog...

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

In the link command there are no "quote marks" around c:\Program Files (x86)\VNI\imsl\fnl701\Intel64\lib\imsl.lib;  so it thinks c:\Program is an arg an looked for an o.obj of that name.  I am guessing that lib is an additional dependencies you have set manually. 

0 Kudos
Mike_Z_
Novice

I inserted quote marks:

fatal error LNK1104: не удается открыть файл "c:\Program Files (x86)\VNI\imsl\fnl701\Intel64\lib\imsl.lib;c:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020\windows\redist\intel64_win\mkl\mkl_intel_thread.dll"

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

That doesn't look correct either, the quotes there span two files names

0 Kudos
Mike_Z_
Novice

Thanks Andrew, I split it by quotes, but now

fatal error LNK1107: invalid or corrupted file: cannot be read by 0x328        c:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020\windows\redist\intel64_win\mkl\mkl_intel_thread.dll    1    

0 Kudos
Mike_Z_
Novice

Resolved. Fortran->Libraries->Runtime Library->Debug Multithreaded (/libs:static /threads /dbglibs)

0 Kudos