Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

No symbol file libifcoremd causing Instrumention Failed in Visual Studio 2015

Babar_M_
Beginner

I want to use Visual Studio Performance Wizard to get the analysis (number of function calls) of my solution which include multiple projects written in Intel Visual FORTAN, Visual Studio C++ and C#. But Instrumentation analysis failed with the following warning and error.

Warning VSP2005: Internal instrumentation warning: The object '\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.1.146\windows\compiler\lib\intel64\ifmodintr.lib(./frtl/static/iso_c_binding.obj)' was built without debug information.

Error VSP1033: The file 'C:\Development\abc\x64\Release\abc.exe' does not contain a recognized executable image.

PRF0002: Instrumentation failed with these options: /u "C:\Development\abc\x64\Release\abc.exe"   /excludesmallfuncs.  Please check the output window for additional details.

It seems Visual Studio won't allow instrumentation until it gets all symbols files.

Following symbol file is missing from FORTRAN project: "libifcoremd.pdb".

Can I get this file or is there any other way to make it work.

Thanks

Babar

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

We do not distribute the .pdb files for the libraries.

The warning about our library is not the reason the profiling failed. It is possible to profile in the absence of PDB fles. I successfully profiled (both Instrumentation and Sampling) with a pure Fortran project. I received the same warning for libiforemd and other libs and still collected a valid profile.

Profiling started.
Profiling process ID 11804 (Console1).
Starting data collection. The output file is C:\temp\Console1\Console1161216.vspx
Profiler stopping.
Stopping data collection.
Merging collection data. Please wait...
Data is saved in file C:\temp\Console1\Console1161216.vspx
Profiling finished.
Failed to load symbols for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Failed to load symbols for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll
Failed to load symbols for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll
Failed to load symbols for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll
Failed to load symbols for C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32_win\compiler\libifcoremd.dll
Failed to load symbols for C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
Failed to load symbols for C:\Windows\System32\wow64.dll
Failed to load symbols for C:\Windows\System32\wow64cpu.dll
Failed to load symbols for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imagehlp.dll
Failed to load symbols for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dbghelp.dll
Profiling complete.

A couple of keys items to check that you doing:

- Enable debug symbols for your optimized build
- Add the /Profile linker option

I don’t know the cause of the error you experienced. Web searches suggest possibilities involving mixed architecture components or assembly code. One hit: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20152718/visual-studio-profiler-gives-error-vsp1033-does-not-contain-a-recognized-execut

0 Kudos
Babar_M_
Beginner

Thanks Davis, Kevin D

I appreciate your response.

I already did these settings but I was getting same errors.

- Enable debug symbols for your optimized build
- Add the /Profile linker option

Regarding mixed architecture components, There is some code starting with _asm, which I have temporarily commented out. But no solution.

May be some thing is wrong in the code or my project has any other visual studio dll without symbols. like tecio.dll, ProfUIS320md.dll  

Regards

Babar

0 Kudos