Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26748 Discussions

Numerical deviations between Sandy-Bridge and Haswell

mriedman
Novice

I'm seeing slight numerical deviations between Sandy-Bridge and Haswell when I run the very same executable.

It is built with ifort17, plain Fortran, run with a single thread, not using MKL ot other external libs, linked with -static-intel, run on the same OS (RHEL7). Compile switches are quite aggressive but that does not explain (-O3 -xAVX -fp-model fast=2 -no-prec-div -no-prec_sqrt -ftz -fast-transcendentals). Sequential execution should exactly reproduce.

The usual suspect would then be uninitialized data. These are not detected by any of the known runtime checks. If they cause the deviation then I should be able to reproduce the deviation even with the same processor type. But I can't. I tried a number of different machines. v3 and v4 produce identical results on any machine.

So I can't see any further reason for such behaviour except maybe changes in the FPUs between v1 and v3. Is there any data or explanation ?

The deviations are really small however in my industry such behaviour is not easily accepted.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

No, -fp-model has no effect on the math library. What you may want is -fimf-arch-consistency

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

At the beginning of your program add

USE, INTRINSIC :: IEEE_ARITHMETIC
TYPE(IEEE_ROUND_TYPE) ROUND
CALL IEEE_GET_ROUNDING_MODE(ROUND)   ! Stores the rounding mode
PRINT *, ROUND

Run on both CPU types to verify initialized rounding mode is the same

You may also want to call IEEE_SET_ROUNDING_MODE to your choice of modes: IEEE_DOWN, IEEE_NEAREST, IEEE_TO_ZERO, or IEEE_UP

Jim Dempsey

Steve_Lionel

The math library does CPU dispatching, which can result in small differences. See sc13.supercomputing.org/sites/default/files/WorkshopsArchive/pdfs/wp129s1.pdf for more details.

mriedman
Novice

Thanks, gentlemen,

rounding mode is always IEEE_NEAREST.

@Steve, will -fp-model precise disable this CPU dispatching ?

Michael

Steve_Lionel

No, -fp-model has no effect on the math library. What you may want is -fimf-arch-consistency

View solution in original post

mriedman
Novice

Thanks, indeed that option resolved the issue.

The price is a 10% runtime increase. Compiled code is not affected but the intrinsics are (pow, log). They roughly double their runtime.

Anyway I now have an explanation and - if somebody insists - a solution.

Steve_Lionel

As I wrote in the presentation: Accuracy, Performance, Consistency: Pick two.