Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Old Topic

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Dear John
(1) Welcome to the BBC (Brown Belt Club)
(2) My Granddaughter, who is 4 and big half, likes The Octonauts especially Captain Barnacles, and is telling everyone that she starts University in September :-)
(5) Have you tried Terry Pratchett's Discworld books ?
(6) Whoever removed arithmetic goto should be given a medal. Whoever introduced Select Case should be given a medal. Whoever introduced allocatable arrays should be given a medal. Whoever ...
(8) There are three kinds of programmer - those who can count, and those who can't.
(9) In Nottingham there is a Waterstone's book store with a Costa Coffee area I used to frequent when I worked in that city. It was comfortable; has now gone up-market with the seating; and gone down in my estimation. Now in Denver Co there is(was?) a book store called "The Tattered Cover" with a fab eating area
andvery helpful staff who helped mefind some books specifically requestedby my daughter for me to bring home.
(10) Alas becoming a husband/father means we lose all sense of fashion from that moment on. Picking up my daughterafter she had been to the cinema with her friends I had to "wait round the corner" so they didn't see me and -"don't wear that silly hat"

Les Neilson Hubby, DaD,BrB(Intel) anda Grandad

Dear Les:

I was looking for the answer as to whether one uses KIND(15,307) or kind(i4) etc.. could have sworn I asked that question, when I stumbled across a set of posts from 2011 when we adopted our last child, got towed in Houston and got a Brown Belt from Intel and found out Steve is a Ninja - albeit a bit slower these days -- remember the Japanese Ninja's from the '60's who used to slide down the high tension wires and do all neat stuff - Steve how did you do it?

I nearly died laughing - but the post is closed so I copied the best one here.

John

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Dear Steve:

Lying on the lounge last night - I suddenly thought - if I used to be a Brown Belt how did I end up a Green Belt?

I have found two sets of code for 18 dof plates - triangular -- the first the Fortran code is not available and I have no great desire to sort thru the math - the second is however - a small part is in Fortran - the bigger part is in MATLAB from Mathematica from FORTRAN -- the thought is the students do not have to learn a language - I can learn Fortran a darn sight quicker than MATLAB

Personal view - shortsighted -- Fortran is lot more useful than MATLAB at learning stuff - really .

MATLAB has a lot of syntactic sugar - to quote Sussman I believe. 

So they have an  area equation which is simply the determinant multiplied by 0.5, but in MATLAB they have 1/2 - so I copied this across and the area was zero.

After calling on the GODS for help, I worked through the numbers step by step and checked them - tedious and I got the right answer for the determinant == 1 - then multiplied by 1/2 and got 0.

Multiplied by 0.5 and got right answer.  If I do reals and multiply a real by 1/2 I assume Steve I get the integer division == 0 and then it gets swung to a real?  Am I correct?

The other interesting feature - to avoid a zero being passed to a routine -- they take the max of the (0.01, num) and send in the max -- really nice in commercial type code to do such a strange thing -- it would drive someone crazy who wanted 0.009

Fun

John

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

There is a material that has a number less than 0.01 that would get sent it - plywood

My old Structures Professor, brilliant math guy, published a nice paper on Poisson's ratio for Plywood and measure it as effectively zero within the given error limits. 

I took some pleasure in sending him a Russian paper from 1942 for Poisson's ratio for plywood at a very low number < less than his error but not zero.

John

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

If I understand correctly, belts are dependent on activity in the last 12 months, except that black belts are permanent.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

[After calling on the GODS for help, I worked through the numbers step by step and checked them - tedious and I got the right answer for the determinant == 1 - then multiplied by 1/2 and got 0.

Multiplied by 0.5 and got right answer.  If I do reals and multiply a real by 1/2 I assume Steve I get the integer division == 0 and then it gets swung to a

If your data are integer, there is a big difference between

X = Y * (1 / 2)

and

X = (Y * 1) / 2

The former produces 0, the latter, the (truncated) integer value of Y / 2

BTW you will not get an integer divide by zero, instead you use an integer multiply by 0.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Yes I tried out several alternatives and saw the results -- learn something new every day.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos