Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28637 Discussions

On Windows EM64T Built IA32, Cannot Run or Debug

blamm
Beginner
I have Windows XP x64 (EM64T), IVF 9.0.021, Visual Studio .NET 2003, installed IVF for IA32 and IVF for EM64T, Intel Debugger, Integration with MSVS .NET 2003, and Intel Array Visualizer.
In the integration of IVF 9.0to MSVS .NET 2003 IDEI have the choice to build for IA32 only. I built adebug solution in MSVS IDE, one exe and one dll, for IA32 (again, on an EM64T OS).
Neither the Intel debugger nor the MSVS debugger will run the app built for IA32. I expect that the Intel debugger won't run it because the exe and dll were built as IA32 target, and the Intel debugger will only execute (debug) apps built for EM64T, correct?
But why won't the MSVS .NET 2003 debugger run the debug? I thought EM64T would run apps built for IA32, and the IA32 app built successfully. The MSVS .NET IDE reports that no target is specified when I attempt to debug theIA32 app.
When I simply double-click the app, it runs partially then aborts, but I cannot find out why because I cannot debug (it appears as if the abort happens during a check for allocation status, and it is not the first such status check during the execution).
Is this correct (expected) behavior? It really doesn't seem correct that I can successfully build an IA32 debug app, but it will not run on EM64T, neither from within the MSVS .NET IDE nor from just executing it from outside the MSVS IDE.
Please offer explanations. Thanks.
Brian
Addendum:
I just built same solution except in Release configuration instead of debug and the program executes flawlessly. I might add that I chose "none" for "use Intel processor extensions" and "none" for "require Intel processor extensions".
Should I file a bug report with Intel Premier Service?

Message Edited by blamm on 08-28-2005 11:43 AM

Message Edited by blamm on 08-28-2005 01:10 PM

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I'm guessing that something went wrong when you built the application. I've done this - build and debug an IA-32 app on EM64T and it worked fine.

The Intel debugger on EM64T can handle either IA-32 or EM64T apps.

Feel free to report the issue to Intel Premier Support and attach a ZIP of your project with the built executable. We'll be glad to take a look.
0 Kudos
blamm
Beginner
I just installed IVF 9.0.021 on my IA32 system (windows xp 32 bit). I installed IA32 compiler, EM64T compiler, Intel Debugger, VS.NET integration, and Array Visualizer, in that order. I chose to update environment variables for IA32, EM64T, and Intel Debugger during the installation.
I get the same error, "Visual Studio cannot debug because a debug target has not been specified".
Intel Debugger also will not debug.
On the EM64T installation (windows xp x64), in the tools|options|intel fortran|project directories|executables there is listed "C:Program FilesCommon FilesIntelShared FilesIa32Bin", which does not exist on my EM64T machine. I filed a question to that effect on Premier but have received no feedback after several days. Seemed like a simple question ...
I have tried all choices for the debug regarding linking libraries: single threaded debug, multi-threaded debug, single threaded debug dll, and multi threaded debug dll, all fail.
So, this is not a bug with only installations on EM64T OS, it is also a bug on IA32 OS.
I will report to Premier and see if doesn't take two months to be resolved, like my last issue.
Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos
blamm
Beginner
Steve,
Regarding being able to use Intel debug both IA32 and EM64T on EM64T system: In my EM64T machine, I get ONLY the option to command line or GUI debug, i.e., in the program group Intel Debugger 9.0 I have the choices Environment for EM64T applications and Environment for EM64T applications (GUI), and on my IA32 installation box I get ONLY the same options except replace "EM64T" with "IA32".
I DO NOT have the choice to command line Intel debug IA32 apps on my EM64T OS box, and vice verso on my IA32 OS box, yet you wrote I can Intel debug Both IA32 and EM64T apps on my EM64T installation of Intel debugger, when in fact I don't have the choice, in the program groug at least, to debug IA32 apps on my EM64T installation of Intel debugger.
Should I report that as a "problem report" as well?
Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Brian,

Please ask that your issue be assigned to me (Steve Lionel) and I'll take a look at it right away.

As for the Intel Debugger, my understanding is that there is not a separate debugger for IA-32 and EM64T - you use the "EM64T" debugger and it understands IA-32 applications.
0 Kudos
blamm
Beginner
Thanks Steve, I'll do that.
I can debug smaller programs, built as one exe with no dll's in the same "solution".
So it seems it's peculiar to the particular exe (and dll) I'm trying to debug.
Brian
0 Kudos