Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

OneApi file encryption

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I started today with a nag prompt for "EFS UI " to back up my file encryption key. This was confusing as I don't use file encryption. Anyway I ran "cipher /u /h >files.txt" an an admin comand prompt and find a load of ...AppData\Local\Intel\oneapi\Samples\Archive\oneapi-samples-9016e02b5a2d890c171a444d6afb6fd3340320f9\DirectProgramming\C++\CombinationalLogic\MandelbrotOMP\cpp.tar.gz type archives that are encrypted and in the registry there is an encryption key that had been created under my username. 

This seems most odd, is this intended behaviour?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I was wondering where that prompt was coming from... Bizarre.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

Did you browse the oneAPI samples?

the Samples moved to github, which does require a key to validate the remote git server. 

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

No they are from the oneapi installer.  I did the full download of the installer for an offline install.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

There are about 200 gz files flagged by cipher

0 Kudos
Drift_91
Beginner

I'm experiencing the same with the C++ compiler. Would you happen to remember where the encryption key was in the registry? I'm struggling to find it in certmgr.msc and I keep getting the reminder to back up the key occasionally.

Personally I find it rather strange that someone felt the need to make the installer encrypt these files...

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Sorry I don't have any recall of this or how I killed the nag prompt. I would imaging under cipher.exe application  see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/cipher-exe-security-tool-for-the-encrypting-file-system-56c85edd-85cf-ac07-f2f7-ca2d35dab7e4

0 Kudos