Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
27171 Discussions

OpenMP with libs:static cause memory leak

EruditePig
Beginner

Here is the code:

program main

implicit none
    integer                         :: i

type Element
        real(8),allocatable         :: eForce(:)                
    end type Element

type (Element),allocatable      :: elems(:)

allocate(elems(100))

!$omp parallel do private (i) schedule (guided)
    do i=1,100
        allocate(elems(i)%eForce(1000000))
        elems(i)%eForce=1.
    end do
    !$omp end parallel do

write(*,*) "befor clean..."
    do while (.true.)
        write(*,fmt='(a,\)') "input 1 to continue:"
        read(*,*) i
        if(i.eq.1) exit
    end do    

deallocate(elems)

write(*,*) "clean finished..."
    do while (.true.)
        write(*,fmt='(a,\)') "input 1 to continue:"
        read(*,*) i
        if(i.eq.1) exit
    end do  

end program main

If I choose "Debug Multithreaded (/libs:static /threads /dbglibs)" in project property, after clean the allocated memory, the memory usage is still near 1GB

EruditePig_0-1624506761075.png

EruditePig_1-1624506806727.png

However, If I choose "Debug Multithread DLL (/libs:dll /threads /dbglibs)", deallocate will perform right.

EruditePig_2-1624506872552.png

EruditePig_3-1624506911177.png

I notice that IVF stop support for static link of OpenMP (https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/Intel-Fortran-Static-Library-with-OpenMP-enabl...

According to the thread, Am i wrong to choose the libs:static option?

The Intel Fortran version I used is 19.1.0.166 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

/libs:static doesn't affect the OpenMP library, which is DLL-only. Have you tried a more recent compiler and runtime library? 

EruditePig
Beginner

the attachment is the solution, The Intel Fortran version I used is 19.1.0.166 , the VisualStudio version is 16.9.0
Both are recent updated software

Steve_Lionel

I can reproduce the difference using the 2021.0.2 compiler and libraries. What causes it, I don't know., but I do know that there can sometimes be issues mixing DLL and static linked code. If you have paid support I suggest you report this through the Intel Online Service Center. But the most pragmatic approach would be to use DLL linking, which is the default.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

Why is the default dll, it makes a lot more sense to bind in the lib.  

Steve_Lionel

Linking to DLL libraries saves space, reduces memory load, and allows for DLLs to be updated without requiring a relink. Microsoft changed its defaults many years back to default to DLL linking. In the case of OpenMP, I recall a claim that there were run-time issues caused by use of a static library for OpenMP. I don't recall the details, and note that a static OMP library is still provided on Linux, but that is a different environment.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

but in the days of Microsoft Fortran you created a single file that sat on a floppy and just ran, now it is a convoluted set of dlls.  Bring back MS Fortran V 3.03 and twin floppy drives, the modern youth are spoiled.