Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

PS XE 2019 MPI not reading from stdin

j0e
New Contributor I

Hi,

While this post should probably go to the other forum, I thought I'd ask here anyway, as this is a problem associated with the latest release of PS 2019. When running an MPI program from mpiexec, process 0 is unable to read stdin.  For instance, in this test program

program MPItesting
      use mpi
      implicit none
      integer myRank, mpierr, noProc
      character(80) basefilename

call MPI_INIT( mpierr )
      call MPI_COMM_RANK(MPI_COMM_WORLD, myRank, mpierr) ! get rank of this process in world
      call MPI_COMM_SIZE(MPI_COMM_WORLD, noProc, mpiErr)

if (myRank == 0) then
         write(*,'(a,i4)') 'Number of MPI processes: ', noProc
         write(*,'(a,$)') 'Enter parameter file base name, no extension: '
         read(*,*) basefilename
      end if
      call MPI_BCAST(basefilename,80,MPI_CHARACTER,0,MPI_COMM_WORLD,mpierr)
      write(*,'(a,i3,a)') 'Process ', myRank,' filename: '//trim(basefilename)
      call MPI_FINALIZE(mpierr)         
   end program MPItesting

Process 0 properly writes to the console, but any typing done at the prompt is not echoed, nor is stdin read.  If I cntl-C out (which is the only way to exit), then what I typed at the program's prompt is instead passed to the windows command window.  This just started occurring after upgrading to the 2019 official release.  Any ideas? Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
secretyv
Beginner

Hello

Same problem here!

It seems related to 

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-clusters-and-hpc-technology/topic/779553

Launching my program with

mpiexec -localonly -n 1 abc.exe

work (i.e. can read from unit 5) whereas 

abc.exe

will not read from unit 5.

Any news on this?

Windows 8.1 / Windows 10.
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.0.1.144 Build 20181018
Intel(R) MPI Library for Windows* OS, Version 2019 Update 1 Build 20181016 (id: 1f6a76f43)

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I think you'd get more response in the Intel Clusters/HPC forum. It is likely not a Fortran issue.

0 Kudos