Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Parallel Studio XE Query

dannycat
New Contributor I
I currently have a single licence for Fortran Composer XE 12.0 with IMSL which isdue for renewal at the end of this month. After viewing Steve Lionel's webinar last week I may be interested in getting the Parallel Studio XE so that I can make use of the features not available in the standalone FORTRAN XE (Static Security Analysis for instance). My supplier in UK (Grey Matter)informs me that IMSL is NOT available as part of the Parallel Studio Suite which implies you can never get a product that includes both IMSL and the Parallel studio features without buying separately. Is this truly the case?

I currently use VS2008 and require some MS C++ capability but again VS2010 seems to have lots of useful features to aid the programmer. What is the best option for me. I assume that the VS 2010 shell provided has limitations similar to VS2008 in IVF Fortran and there will be no C compiler included and restricted converter resource editors etc.

Can someone clarify please and suggest a possible solution?

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
lklawrie
Beginner
I've been trying to figure this out too as the help (and website) still imply that only Parallel Studio and C++Studio have the tools for SSA analysis -- though I think the Fortran Studio does as well. I'm not as concerned about the IMSL.

In addition, the salesperson I talked to seemed to imply if I upgraded now -- I'd still have to pay again at the renewal date. That is, the upgrade would only be good until February (in my case).

Linda
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
ifort 12.0 integrates with the full VS2010, 12.1 takes advantage of additional features of VS2010, drops support for VS2005, and still works with VS2008. As you said, you would need the full VS2010 or 2008 from Microsoft to have C++ development facility. Steve Lionel discussed some of these aspects in past posts.
I suppose you could combine the minimum Parallel Studio offering with the IMSL product and they should work together, since the IMSL product adds only libraries which won't be dealt with by Parallel Studio.
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

Let me try to address the questions raised by this thread:

1) There is no full suite of products (e.g. Intel Parallel Studio XE) that comes with IMSL. It is only bundled with the Fortran compiler alone.

Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 for Windows with IMSL 6.0*

2) VS 2010 shell that comes with the Intel Visual Fortan for Windows has similar limitations to the VS 2008 shell. If you need C++ you will need to purcase Microsoft Visual Studio from Microsoft.

3) Any XE product that contains Inspector and Fortran will support SSA. So either of the following products should support SSA.

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011 for Windows*

Includes Intel Composer XE, Intel VTune Amplifier XE, Intel Inspector XE

Intel Fortran Studio XE 2011 for Windows

Includes Intel Fortran Composer XE, Intel VTune Amplifier XE, Intel Inspector XE

4) An upgrade license will give you support for 1 year from the purchase date, not expire on the date of your previous renewal.

Here is the location to see all the products for sale.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/buy-or-renew/

Hope this clears up all the questions so far in this thread.

------

Wendy

Attaching or including files in a post

0 Kudos
dannycat
New Contributor I
Thanks for explaining the options. Reading between the lines the IMSL issueseems to bea political"hot potato"for Intel who would, IMO, prefer to drop it completely (after allit is available separately from, the appropriately named,Rogue-Wave company), but are obliged to carry on with making product available to appease their existing customers. This I can understand, however I am trying to removemy need for IMSL (I currently only use two functions from it), so that in futureI can recard it completely. The new licencing policy for IMSL is completely unsatisfactory for mylong term needsso the sooner I get rid the better.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is nothing "political" about it. There is a real cost for each additional product "SKU" (Stock Keeping Unit or individually saleable product) we create. We have not been aware of a significant demand for a "Parallel Studio XE with IMSL", though it might be simpler if we offered IMSL as a separate add-on. Our offering IMSL is historical - Microsoft had a Professional Edition that included IMSL, so DEC maintained that as did Intel.

The future of IMSL with us will, of course, depend on customer acceptance of the new licensing. If customers continue to buy the product, we're more likely to continue to offer it. As you say, you can buy it from Rogue Wave too, though currently they are not supporting later than compiler version 11.1.
0 Kudos