Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26755 Discussions

Passing Vector Segments to Assumed-sized Array

hentall_maccuish__ja
New Contributor II

Hello,

I working some inhereted code that uses assumed-size arrays. I haven't worked with assumed-size assays before (I'm under the impression that assumed-shaped are preferrable and assumed-size only exist for backward compatibility) and the way they are used doesn't seem to fit neatly into the documentation I have found online about assumed-size arrays. What seems strange to me is that the main program has one long vector and single elements of this vector are passed into assumed-size array interface parameters of a subroutine. The ones of these that are of the format a(*)  get created as vectors of length 1 but the ones that are of the form a(10,*) get created as arrays of shape (10,1). At least that is my understanding of how it behaves from reverse enginerring the  code. So my question is, have I understod correctly and can I rely one the code to consitently behave this way? To make the question clear here is a code snippet

program test
    real ::X(100), y(5)

call sub(x(1),x(10),x(50),y)

contains
    subroutine sub(a,b,c)
    real:: a(*), b(10,*), c(*), d(*)

end subroutine sub
    end program test

So in this example I a and c are of shape (1), b is of shape (10,1) and d is of shape (5). I've seen documentation explaining why d would be (5) but not confirming b should always be (10,1).

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

The extent of the last dimension of a,b,c and d are, technically, 100, 9, 51, 5, but there's no way to determine that in the program. Passing a single element to an assumed-size array is called "sequence association", and the dummy argument (a,b,c,d) is associated with the remainder of the extent of the actual argument. (b is a bit strange - as there is actually one more element left over. Your example would have been easier to explain if the subscripts were 11 and 51.)

In pre-F77 days, it was popular to declare dummy arrays with a last bound of 1, relying on the lack of bounds checking in most early compilers. F77 added assumed-size arrays which replace the (1) hack.

Here's what the standard says (8.5.8.5):

The size of an assumed-size array is determined as follows.
 • If the effective argument associated with the assumed-size dummy array is an array of any type other than default character, the size is that of the effective argument.
 • If the actual argument corresponding to the assumed-size dummy array is an array element of any type other than default character with a subscript order value of r (9.5.3.2) in an array of size x, the size of the dummy array is x − r + 1.
 • If the actual argument is a default character array, default character array element, or a default character array element substring (9.4.1), and if it begins at character storage unit t of an array with c character storage units, the size of the dummy array is MAX (INT ((c − t + 1)/e), 0), where e is the length of an element in the dummy character array.
 • If the actual argument is a default character scalar that is not an array element or array element substring designator, the size of the dummy array is MAX (INT (l/e), 0), where e is the length of an element in the dummy character array and l is the length of the actual argument.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Steve_Lionel

The extent of the last dimension of a,b,c and d are, technically, 100, 9, 51, 5, but there's no way to determine that in the program. Passing a single element to an assumed-size array is called "sequence association", and the dummy argument (a,b,c,d) is associated with the remainder of the extent of the actual argument. (b is a bit strange - as there is actually one more element left over. Your example would have been easier to explain if the subscripts were 11 and 51.)

In pre-F77 days, it was popular to declare dummy arrays with a last bound of 1, relying on the lack of bounds checking in most early compilers. F77 added assumed-size arrays which replace the (1) hack.

Here's what the standard says (8.5.8.5):

The size of an assumed-size array is determined as follows.
 • If the effective argument associated with the assumed-size dummy array is an array of any type other than default character, the size is that of the effective argument.
 • If the actual argument corresponding to the assumed-size dummy array is an array element of any type other than default character with a subscript order value of r (9.5.3.2) in an array of size x, the size of the dummy array is x − r + 1.
 • If the actual argument is a default character array, default character array element, or a default character array element substring (9.4.1), and if it begins at character storage unit t of an array with c character storage units, the size of the dummy array is MAX (INT ((c − t + 1)/e), 0), where e is the length of an element in the dummy character array.
 • If the actual argument is a default character scalar that is not an array element or array element substring designator, the size of the dummy array is MAX (INT (l/e), 0), where e is the length of an element in the dummy character array and l is the length of the actual argument.

View solution in original post

hentall_maccuish__ja
New Contributor II

Thanks you! That is really helpful and very different from what I had inferred from how the assumed-size arrays get presented in the debugger

Steve_Lionel

The debugger shows them as (1) because it has no information about the actual bounds.