Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26754 Discussions

Passing a pointer to a member function of a C++ class directly to Fortran using C interoperability

avinashs
New Contributor I

Static functions in C are type compatible with Fortran functions and subroutines through the interoperability features. However, in C++, a static function does not have the same signature as the member function of a class although both may have the same prototype. Hence, a pointer to a static function in C++ cannot be made to point to a similar member function of a class. As a result, I am led to assume that the "c_f_pointer" in interoperability refers strictly to C-static functions. In fact, a quick test confirmed the same to be true.

Is there a way to actually pass a member function of a C++ class as a C-static function pointer to Fortran. This would greatly enhance the interoperability with C++ and help reuse numerical methods developed in Fortran directly with C++.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Fortran's interoperability features are strictly about C. To the extent that you can make C++ look like C (typically with 'extern "C"'), it works, but there is zero support for C++ features not in C.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Fortran's interoperability features are strictly about C. To the extent that you can make C++ look like C (typically with 'extern "C"'), it works, but there is zero support for C++ features not in C.

View solution in original post

avinashs
New Contributor I

Steve Lionel (Ret.) (Blackbelt) wrote:

Thanks for this useful information - allows me to plan the software development accordingly. This effectively means that developing software in Fortran that requires a function or subroutine as an argument and is expected to be used in C++ will require C++ to provide a static function. Data required to compute the output of the static function will have to be passed either as additional arguments in Fortran or through global variables in C++. In some future version of C++ adopts the "contains" feature of Fortran, some of these issues could be resolved.

Some similar issues have also cropped up in using 64-bit Fortran DLLs with VBA in 64-bit Excel due to a change in the pointers required by VBA in the 64-bit version of Office. In short, functions and subroutines as arguments can complicate interoperability.