Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26755 Discussions

Passing an array of strings from VBA to Fortran DLL

cmc
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have difficulties getting the DLL to read my array of strings. The following declaration is given in VBA:

Public Declare Sub fortran_dll Lib "path_to_dll" _
    (ByVal array1 As String, ByRef array2 As Integer, ByRef array3 As Double, _
    ByRef array4 As Integer, ByRef array5 As Double)

The following attributes are given in Fortran:

!dec$ attributes dllexport, stdcall, reference, alias: "fortran_dll" :: fortran_dll
    !dec$ attributes reference :: input_characters, input_integers, input_reals
    !dec$ attributes reference :: output_integers, output_reals

Is there a guide or procedure for how to make this work? I manage to read the integers and doubles, so the trouble is only linked to the strings. Can anyone help me?

\Carl

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Eugene_E_Intel
Employee

Please post some sample code that shows how you access the strings.

This thread has sample code for passing VBA strings to Fortran: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/393803

Arrays of strings would be more difficult, since VBA probably uses "SafeArray of BSTR" structure for array of strings.

DavidWhite
Black Belt

I avoided the use of the BSTR structures in my application by concatentating all of the strings, and so only passing back a single string.  It needs to be a C string, e.g.

Str=CharOut(1)//CharOut(2)//CharOut(3)//CharOut(4)//CharOut(5)//''C

Eugene_E_Intel
Employee

How do you declare fortran_dll() and its parameters in Fortran?

cmc
New Contributor I

Sample code:

!   declarations:   
    character(len=256), intent(in) ::  input_characters(5)

!   input_characters:
    character(len=50)              :: file_1, file_2, file_3, file_4, file_5

!   assigning characters:
    file_1                         = input_characters(1)
    file_2                         = input_characters(2)
    file_3                         = input_characters(3)
    file_4                         = input_characters(4)
    file_5                         = input_characters(5)

I have tried different character lengths in the declaration, with no luck. This post (https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/391172) address the same issue I have, but I only see workarounds (e.g. write the strings to a text-file and read the strings from there), not an actual solution to the problem. I see "SafeArray of BSTR" is mentioned in both posts. Can someone explain to me how I do this? Does that mean I have to translate the string to ASCII or binary code and send that instead?

Eugene_E_Intel
Employee

David White wrote:

I avoided the use of the BSTR structures in my application by concatentating all of the strings, and so only passing back a single string.  It needs to be a C string, e.g.

Str=CharOut(1)//CharOut(2)//CharOut(3)//CharOut(4)//CharOut(5)//''C

If a single string is passed to a Fortran routine, then Fortran routine needs to read it as a single string, not as an array.

I suggest that in VBA you concatenate your array of strings into a one string, using end-of-line as a delimiter.  Pass this concatenated string to Fortran code, and then parse it into individual strings.

Handling SafeArray of BSTR from Fortran code would be very difficult.

Regards,

--Eugene