Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Passing arrays from Excel VBA to FORTRAN DLL

Richard_Hamm
Beginner
I am trying to pass an array from an Excel VBA code to a FORTRAN dll which I made with the Intel FORTRAN 11 compiler in Visual Studio 2008. I have tried everything I can think of including several suggestions I found on various forums. Nothing has worked. Any help would be appreciated.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Option Base 1
Declare Sub sendarray Lib "C:\\Data\\Constitutive Material Behavior\\Material Modeling\\Templates\\Random Material Field Generator\\vs2008_dlltest\\Dll1\\Dll1\\Debug\\Dll1.dll" (ByRef arr() As Double, ByRef a As Double, ByRef b As Long, ByRef c As Long)
Sub testdll()

Dim i, j As Long
Dim testarray(1 To 3, 1 To 3) As Double
Dim y As Double

y = -1
For i = 1 To 3
For j = 1 To 3
testarray(i, j) = (CDbl(i) ^ 2 + CDbl(j) ^ 2) ^ 0.5
Next j
Next i

Call sendarray(testarray, y, 3, 3)

y = testarray(1, 1)

End Sub

FORTRAN Code:
subroutine sendarray(array,y,nrows,ncols)
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL,DLLEXPORT::sendarray
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES REFERENCE::array
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES REFERENCE::y
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES REFERENCE::nrows
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES REFERENCE::ncols

implicit none
integer*4,intent(in)::nrows
integer*4,intent(in)::ncols
real*8, intent(in)::array(1:nrows,1:ncols)
real*8, intent(out):: y
logical:: ex
INQUIRE(FILE='C:\\Data\\Constitutive Material Behavior\\Material Modeling\\Templates\\Random Material Field Generator\\vs2005_dlltest\\out.txt', EXIST=ex)
IF (ex) THEN
OPEN (UNIT=1, FILE='C:\\Data\\Constitutive Material Behavior\\Material Modeling\\Templates\\Random Material Field Generator\\vs2005_dlltest\\out.txt', STATUS='OLD')
CLOSE(UNIT=1, STATUS='DELETE')
END IF
OPEN (UNIT=1, FILE='C:\\Data\\Constitutive Material Behavior\\Material Modeling\\Templates\\Random Material Field Generator\\vs2005_dlltest\\out.txt', STATUS='NEW')
WRITE(1,*) nrows
WRITE(1,*) ncols
WRITE(1,*) array(1,1)
WRITE(1,*) array(2,1)
WRITE(1,*) array(3,1)
CLOSE(UNIT=1)
y=array(1,1)
return
end

The results in the file out.txt are below. As you can see the integers nrows and ncols are being passed in correctly, but the array is not.
2.122641981399731E-314
4.243991583412742E-314
2.642277455900980E-308

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
For multidimensional arrays you will need to write code that accesses SafeArray descriptors. See the VB.NET-Safearrays sample for an example.
0 Kudos
Richard_Hamm
Beginner
Steve,

Thanks for your response. Can you provide a link? I am using VBA in Excel which is different than standard VB. Do I still need to worry about SafeArray descriptors?
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
First, I recommend modifying your code(s) to try passing a 1-dimensional array and see if that works.
0 Kudos
Richard_Hamm
Beginner
Anthony,

yeah, I have tried that too. I have the same problem. I sent in a 3x1 array to a slightly modified code that will accept 1D arrays, with array(1)=1.0, but I get out 1.277...E-314.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The sample I referred to is installed with the product. C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\ComposerXE-2011\Samples\en_US\Fortran\MixedLanguage.zip. Unzip this to a writable folder (such as your Desktop or somewhere outside of Program Files) and open the VB.NET-SafeArrays sample. As far as I know, VBA is just the same as VB.NET here.
0 Kudos
Richard_Hamm
Beginner
Steve,

Thanks. I did find it and was able to look through the code. I saw that you modified it for multidimensional arrays. I must confess that after going through the example, I still do not understand how to apply this to my code. My background is structural mechanics and constitutive material modeling, so I am a bit out of my element. Can you be a bit more explicit about what I need to do? Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No, I can't, really. The overview is this - you can't directly pass multidimensional arrays from VB to Fortran. Instead, you have to let VB pass a SafeArray descriptor and then use the Intel-provided SafeArray access procedures to find, get and store array elements. Given what you have just told us, this is probably far more than you want to get into.

If you can manage to use a single-dimension array, things are much easier. See the other VB.NET sample provided for how to do that.

You may want to look instead (or also) at the Excel sample provided, which may be closer to what you are doing.
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
In your DLLExport, change STDCALL to REFERENCE and delete the seperate REFERENCE directives and try the 1-D test cod again.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No, that would not be correct, Anthony. VBA always uses STDCALL, and the REFERENCE attributes on the arguments would suffice.
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
Change
(ByRef arr() As Double
to
(ByRef arr As Double

and change the call to address the first element of the array

call sendarray(arr(1,1),

and you will find that that works.

Here is my test code for an EXCEL file that uses a button to activate the code.

Option Explicit
Option Base 1
Declare Sub sendarray Lib "C:\F90\SENDARRAY\Debug\SENDARRAY.dll" (ByRef arr As Double, ByRef a As Double, ByRef b As Long, ByRef c As Long) As Long

Sub Button2_Click()

Dim i, j, nrows, ncols As Long
Dim testarray(1 To 3, 1 To 4) As Double
Dim y As Double
Dim iret As Long

nrows = 3
ncols = 4
y = -1
'Note the array element (i,j) will be given a decimal value 'ij'
'which makes its VBA index pair immediately recognisable from its value
'if it is examined on the Fotran side...
For i = 1 To nrows
For j = 1 To ncols
testarray(i, j) = 10 * CDbl(i) + CDbl(j)
Next j
Next i
MsgBox "Sending array to Fortran..."
iret = sendarray(testarray(1, 1), y, nrows, ncols)
MsgBox "Back from FortranFortran"
MsgBox "Returned value of Y =" + Str(y)

End Sub

The FORTRAN I used is

Subroutine SENDARRAY(ARRAY,Y,NROWS,NCOLS)
! Expose subroutine SENDARRAY to users of this DLL
!
! This will actually export a LOWER CASE name 'sendarray' !
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL, DLLEXPORT::SENDARRAY
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES REFERENCE::ARRAY
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES REFERENCE::y
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES REFERENCE::nrows
!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES REFERENCE::ncols
use dflib
USE DFWIN
implicit none
integer*4,intent(in)::nrows
integer*4,intent(in)::ncols
real*8,intent(in):: array(nrows,ncols)
real*8 ,intent(out)::y
character(15) CHVALUE
character(10) chrow, chcol
INTEGER IRET

WRITE(CHrow,'(i8)') nrows
IRET=MESSAGEBOX(0,'Number of rows= '//chrow,'SENDARRAY dimensions...'c,mb_ok)
WRITE(CHcol,'(i8)') ncols
IRET=MESSAGEBOX(0,'Number of cols= '//chcol,'SENDARRAY dimensions...'c,mb_ok)

WRITE(CHVALUE,'(E15.6)') ARRAY(3,4)
IRET=MESSAGEBOX(0,'Array element (3,4)= '//chvalue,'SENDARRAY array values...'c,mb_ok)

Y=array(3,4)
return
end subroutine SENDARRAY

If you debug the Fortran DLL code by setting Excel as the executable to start the debug and load the attached Excel file when Excel starts, then press the button, you can halt the program in the Fortran .dll by adding a breakpoint to its code. Then, when the break-point is hit, you can inspect the values in the transferred Array and see how the array values are ordered. Surprisingly, I have found that a 3 row, 4 column array in the Visual Basic
code is stored exactly as a Fortran 3-row, 4 column array, in order 11,21,31,12,22,32,13,23,33,14,24,34
(see attached debug screen shot)

0 Kudos
Richard_Hamm
Beginner
Anthony,

That does indeed work! Thank you so much!!!

Rich
0 Kudos
sabalan
New Contributor I

One mistake which Fortran programmers make when they work with VB is declaring the variables the Fortran way (here both Richard and Anthony):

Dim i, j, nrows, ncols As Long

In VB this means that only ncols is declared as long and all others are declared as default, which is Variant in VB. This may cause serious problems in many cases. The correct VB declaration is:

Dim i As Long, j As Long, nrows As Long, ncols As Long

Sabalan

0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
Hey, thanks for that corrective guidance - very timely!
0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi Sabalan and Anthony

Most likely I am missing something subtle here but I think Dim var1, var2 As DataType means that both variables are of DataType.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7ee5a7s1(v=VS.100).aspx has an example of declaring multiple variables; the example there states that:

Dim a, b, c As Single, x, y As Double, i As Integer => a, b, and c are all Single; x and y are both Double

The above seems to be valid VS2005 onwards. The example given for VS2003 (the version can be chosen from the drop-down at the top of the link) does not explicitly mention this. In fact, the multiple declaration example (at the end of VS2003 help) seems to indicate what Sablan is saying. Or is there something about "Long" that I am missing here?

Abhi

0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
Thanks for the heads-up. It would appear, according to this link http://visualbasic.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/vardeclare.htm

that the VB6 DIM behaves differently to VB .NET (or vice - versa).
To quote from there:"

• Multiple Variable Declaration

VB 6 would let you code this line:

Dim var1, var2, var3 As String 

But only var1 would actually be a String. In VB.NET, the result is entirely different:

Dim var1, var2, var3 As Date
 MsgBox( _
 "var1 type is: " & VarType(var1) & vbCrLf & _
 "var2 type is: " & VarType(var2) & vbCrLf & _
 "var3 type is: " & VarType(var3) _
 ) 
All three are "Type 7" - Date in VB.NET. "
0 Kudos
sabalan
New Contributor I
Sorry guys if I caused confusions. As I wrote in another thread I am still running stone-age tools! Here I was referring to VBA in Excel 2003 which appears to be version 6.3, and thereby behaving different than VB.Net as Anthony cited.
0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I
Sabalan and Anthony

I had suspected VB6 related issue; but I haven't used that. It is good to know what VBA in Excel 2003 is compatible with. Thanks for digging it out.

Abhi
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
...Also, Visual BAsic .Net has new defaults for Int and Long - Int is now 4 bytes (is 2 bytes in VB) and Long is now 8 bytes (is 4 bytes in VB).
0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I
Thanks Anthony.

Abhi
0 Kudos