Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Please try the CVF 6.6C update

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I would like folks here to try a preliminary version of the CVF 6.6C update. The contents are complete, except the release notes have not yet been updated - I want to know of any problems installing.

Prerequisites: you must have CVF 6.6, 6.6A or 6.6B installed, either from a regular retail kit or upgraded from an earlier version. Evaluation copies are not supported. You must be logged in as an administrator to run the update.

You can download it here. Please do not distribute the kit or the location to others outside this forum - if no problems are found, the final kit will be made available soon enough.

There are no new features in this release - only bug fixes.

Please reply to this topic with your experiences. Thanks.

Steve
0 Kudos
33 Replies
jeanvezina
Beginner
Dear Steve,

I have noticed one minor problem: the release notes
are still those of version 6.6b.

Best regards,

Jean Vezina
0 Kudos
sgongola
Beginner
Installed with no problems on W2K with latest MS patches.

thank you
sol
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Jean, I DID say that the release notes weren't updated! Thanks to both of you for trying it. Anyone else?

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve,

(absolutely) no problem found (installed on W2K SP4 English and Japanese version).

A.
0 Kudos
david_jones
Beginner
I have a problem upgrading due to having recompiled DFWINTY and hence having a non-recognized DFWINTY.MOD. See attached zip file of error message and logfile.
0 Kudos
dave_frank
Beginner
Installed fine with my Windows XP Home edition.

Limited testing so far, but I note the char array allocate bug I posted just a few days back has been fixed, thanks..
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
I installed the update with CVF Standard on Windows 98SE and with CVF Professional on Windows XP Pro SP1 and had no problems with either one. All I've done with it so far is to open up Visual Studio and confirm that the help now shows the CVF version as 6.6C. I'll try rebuilding a few projects and report any problems I find.

Mike D.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
David,

You'll need to replace DFWINTY.MOD with the version from the 6.6 CD. If you don't have that, you can find the files you need here. In general, you should use a local copy of any product files you update rather than replacing the installed version, otherwise you can run into problems such as this.

Steve
0 Kudos
david_jones
Beginner
I had just found time to remember that I has to do this restoration before upgrading. I didn't have time to properly read your troubleshooting help page that did appear, and the point is mentioned there. Everything in the installation has now worked on both Win2000 SP3 and Win98SE. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Thanks to everyone for trying the "beta". The real update, with new release notes, is here. If you want just the release notes, they're here. If you installed the test version, just unpack the ZIP file into your DF98 folder to update the release notes.

At some point, the web site will get updated to reflect the availability of 6.6C, but that part is no longer under my control.

Steve
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
Steve,

When you say we can unpack the ZIP file into our DF98 folders, are you saying that we can rerun the 6.6C update with no ill effects?

Mike D.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You can download and run the "final" update, which adds the new release notes, or unpack the release notes ZIP file, your choice. The updates can be rerun as many times as you like - if no changes are needed, none are made.

Steve
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Steve, I didn't install it yet (probably Monday), but skimming/searching through relnotes I didn't see mentioned fixing the infamous POINTER=>Non-target bug (know what I mean?) which was probably the biggest problem with 6.6B. Is it my oversight, an oversight in relnotes, or an oversight by compiler team?

Jugoslav
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No, I don't know what you mean, Jugoslav. Do you have a particular CVF support request number I can reference?

The release notes don't list every change, but I try to include all user-visible changes I can find.

Steve
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
OK, I found it -- it's CVF19446. I guess it's fixed, as this was our conversation at the time:

------------- PROBLEM INFORMATION --------------
CVF 6.6 B appears to totally ignore TARGET attribute, i.e. it assumes it is always present. Even with F95 standard checkings on, a pointer of any rank can be associated with any variable of appropriate type, regardless of whether it has TARGET attribute or
not. 6.6 A does not exhibit such behaviour.

| Jugoslav,
|
| It looks as if this is a bug we already fixed after 6.6B. In the latest,
| in-house compiler, the error messages are back. Thanks for passing this along.

OK, I kinda assumed so -- looked like too big a hole to be overlooked
for a long time.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ok - let us know if you think the problem is still there.

Steve
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Looks OK now:

Error: The variable must have the TARGET attribute or be a subobject of an object with the TARGET attribute, or it must have the POINTER attribute. [XDIAG]

Jugoslav
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Some minor flaws:
- Tools / Options... / Help system is still showing 6.5 (#CVF18605, point 2);
- The "About" provided by QuickWin is still showing 6.00 (#CVF18605, point 3);
- The error message is still saying "Using QuickWin is illegal in CONSOLE application" despite that I am running a DLL (#CVF18605, point 4b);
- Scigraph.wri is updated, but it is still saying that you need (only) scigraph.mod on the path. But actually even sgadmin.mod, sgdata.mod, sgdraw.mod and sgplot.mod are needed on the path (#CVF18605, point 5a).

Sabalan.
0 Kudos
hweisberg
Beginner
On my network, all ftp sites are blocked, so I can't access the new Version 6.6C. I need an http download link.

Don't know how many organizations block all ftp sites, but ours does, and the previous place I worked also did. Someone thinks doing this improves security.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
sabalan,

The issues you note are cosmetic in nature and we chose not to address them in these updates.

hweisberg, sorry, no http access is available for the CVF files.

Steve
0 Kudos