Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Pointless build cascades.....

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Maybe this is just a VS thing and doesn’t relate to Fortran but…

1)    I edit a file that contains a module in Visual studio
2)    I foolishly (optimistically?) click rebuild (rather than just compile that source).
3)    VS being very clever identifies all the other files that will be out of data and initiates a build cascade.
4)    The source file I changed aborts complication because of errors, whoops!
5)    VS continues on in blissfully ignorance throwing a zillion errors on all the other sources files that were dependant.
6)    I hunt for the abort button so I can go and fix the errors.

Is that something that can be changed in the Fortran integration or is it an MS thing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

Under Tools, Options, Intel Composer XE, Intel Fortran, Build Options, set "Continue on errors" to false.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I don't think we have control over this. VS calls us to determine the build order, and then VS drives the build. I don't see, even for C++, an option to stop the build on any errors.

Of course, once you have submodules, this problem diminishes a lot.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

Under Tools, Options, Intel Composer XE, Intel Fortran, Build Options, set "Continue on errors" to false.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Andrew that indeed does the trick, on my VS2010 system it was:

tools > options > Intel Compilers and Tools > Visual Fortran > General > Build Options > FALSE

You can use VS for years and still find all manner of goodies hidden away.  I recently discovered using ALT to make rectangular selections for copy,cut,replace,etc , boy is that useful at times......

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

How did I miss that one?  Thanks, Andrew!

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Also, when you start to notice too many errors due to bunged up module, the Build icon/button on the tool bar during build is a Cancel Build button. You can click on that to stop the build. (You don't have to hunt for this button as you just clicked it - if you Hot-Keyed, then re-Hot-Key).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Never use the build bar icons they are tiny tiny little icons on the acres of screens that you need nowadays, I normally pull down the build menu.....

As for hot keys there are a few I use all the time but mostly debug ones when you have to start remember combinations of three keys  CTRL+SHIFT+B I lose interest....

Anyway the Andrew Smith solution is optimum for me :-) 

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

>> I normally pull down the build menu.....

Then pull-down Build Menu and you will have cancel build.

IMHO when the errors are not blatant module errors, I'd rather it not stop on first file it has error, as this increases the number of build cycles.

If the Icons are getting too tiny for you to see, either get more monitors or get a larger 4K monitor. I have a 39" 4K monitor 3840 x 2160 that I can get a lot of information on, yet still read quite well.

Regarding tiny little icons...

My desktop workstation is Windows 7 Pro x64. This has the 39" 4K monitor.
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with 13" screen 3800 x 1800. I can get almost as much information on that screen as I can on my desktop... However, to get this much information, I have to have tiny fonts and icons. While this is usable, it is not comfortable on the eyes, and requires excellent vision. I have 20-15 corrected vision so it is workable.

The Yoga 2 Pro is running Windows 8.1. For reasons I have been unable to resolve, I am unable to Remote Desktop connect from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8.1. However, VNC works just fine. For development on the Yoga 2 pro, I can make a VNC connection from the Windows 7 system, then display the VNC 3800 x 1800 window on the 39" monitor. Real nice, no eyestrain.

Recently, I started a project on a ThinkPad 10 tablet. This has a 10" 1920 x 1200 screen, tiny and low resolution. This too has Windows 8.1 on it. So..., you got it

39" 3840 x 2160 Windows 7 VNC -> Yoga 2 Pro producing 3100 x 1800 programming environment, Remote Desktop connect from Yoga 2 Pro to ThinkPad 10 producing 3100 x 1800 programming environment.

With the 39" 4K monitor I can size and manipulate builds on all three systems, keeping all in view, while browsing this forum. I generally use only one of the window in near full screen and multiple open files.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Jim 100% or my routines are in modules with a hierarchy of dependency so as soon as a module fails to build everything that follows has a broken dependency and will fail to build generating no useful errors messages. .

Yes I did used to pull down the menu and hit cancel but now I don't have to :-) thanks to Star of the week. 

Please can we have submodules some time soon Santa?

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

See (not how I actually setup)

W7VNCtoW8.1RDCtoW8.1.jpg

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

You can use Ctrl-Pause to stop a build. I set up Shift-F7 to start builds as it suites my two fingered typing

0 Kudos